Change font size   Print view

Authorization

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Authorization

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:52 pm

Never heard of this error, either.

First thing I'd double-check, are the BIOS settings, though. Is it possible that the battery went empty, and you encountered the "Authorization" prompt after that?
If so, this could have messed up what IRQs are reserved for the serial ports etc., and I could imagine that this might lead to a PIC Interrupt error, when booting from the floppy installer disc (I know it doesn't give that error when booting from the harddrive... just wondering if the OS loaded by the floppy uses different error handling and thus different messages).

Pino68:
It sounds like you already have a 2nd harddrive with MackieOS 5.1 on it. Did you try connecting that to your "regular" computer, renaming the original "MackieOS.exe" (for example to "MackieOS.old", then extracting the file I shared above, making sure the extracted file is renamed to "MackieOS.exe" and putting it in the place of the "old" one?
Then you'd install the drive back into the D8B rack case, and boot up the unit.

As long as the BIOS settings are right, it should just boot up after that (and NOT give an authorization error).

If you have the drive out and can connect it to another computer, that's a simpler way to replace the original MackieOS.exe file with the hacked version.
What made this so complicated in my earlier post, was just to copy the file to the harddrive via the floppy drive, and having to compress/extract and rename the file to make this workaround of an approach function.

Anyway... if you feel that you MUST install the OS, I'd recommend to double-check the BIOS settings and try to install from the floppy drive again.

Upgrading your D8B hardware is of course also a good idea, as Doktor1360 suggests. It's up to you, how big a project you want to turn this into at this moment.
Personally, I'd probably try to get basic functionality working for the D8B first... and when you know that works, that's when I'd set aside some time to upgrade the unit in a separate step.

Anyway... it's up to you. If you want to do the upgrades now, I'll just stay out of it this time... I keep thinking that I'm just causing confusion when I keep chiming in and suggest something different than what was suggested by others before.

So - I'll stay out of it from now on - best of luck with getting this working, Pino68!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 am

Hi Doktor, do you want to explain myself step by step How to install (hardware) The Base Base Here's Bom (Bill of Material) that you listed?
I can buy them without problems ...
pino68

Postby pino68 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:47 am

Hi Y-my-R thank you for your advice.
I want to try to install from floppy, if I won't succeed, I will put the Doktor1360 advice into practice ... I checked and checked the BIOS, followed the indications and it's all normal.
Now I follow your advice, I try first to make the basic functionality for the D8B and then you will see.
Anyway thanks really for the time you dedicate to me.
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:47 am

pino68 wrote:Hi Y-my-R thank you for your advice.
I want to try to install from floppy, if I won't succeed, I will put the Doktor1360 advice into practice ... I checked and checked the BIOS, followed the indications and it's all normal.
Now I follow your advice, I try first to make the basic functionality for the D8B and then you will see.
Anyway thanks really for the time you dedicate to me.

If you're installing to a hard disk drive (20GB or less), just blank the disk before you do it... the installer is gonna format the disk anyway. For what it's worth, any 8GB or 20GB disk is probably gonna be uncomplicated, you won't be jumpering things to limit capacity (for under 32GB)... fussy ass installer... ;-)

Just keep hammering at it, following Y-my-R's directives... he seems to have a good feel of 'where you are' regarding steps to get this done...

Patience, man... and pragmatism...

\m/ ;)
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. I finally managed to install 5.1 works well ... the only thing is that he always asks me the authorization.
I do not know what to do.
Doktor1360 I ordered all the pieces you advised me, unfortunately a few pieces arrive in a month ... as soon as I have everything I can still disturb you to have some clarification?
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:26 pm

pino68 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I finally managed to install 5.1 works well ... the only thing is that he always asks me the authorization.
I do not know what to do.
Doktor1360 I ordered all the pieces you advised me, unfortunately a few pieces arrive in a month ... as soon as I have everything I can still disturb you to have some clarification?

Absolutely, I'd be glad to... I'm like a 'Bad Penny' around here... I just keep showin' up... :lol:

IF you have any way available to mount that drive on a pc / laptop, just copy that 'MackieOS.EXE' file archived in the ZIP package Y-my-R posted to the root of the D8B drive (rename the existing file first)... and call it a day - everything will be fully authorized, OS and plugins...

Be patient... you're almost 'home', man...

\m/ 8-)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi Doktor1360, can you explain how to put the D8B system files on floppy? thank you
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:57 am

pino68 wrote:Hi Doktor1360, can you explain how to put the D8B system files on floppy? thank you

It's been so long, I can't remember the exact steps... I've already stated pretty clearly I don't have ANY floppy drives on my gear... I upgraded them long ago. If I recall correctly, you run the three (3) files of the distribution 'd8b51_build445_disk#.exe', where # equals the number of the disk (1, 2 or 3), and follow the directions on the screen display... they're executable self-extractors...

Sorry if this isn't very clear, perhaps someone else with a floppy drive that has more recent experience creating the floppy disks than myself can help out with this step. It's best to leave it to someone else to give you the procedure due to this very reason...

All the best...
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:25 am

Hello. Finally I managed to install D8B V5.1, even the hack, only that unfortunately he continues to do as he did before reinstalling everything ...
It turns on and loads everything well, but then after a few minutes all the functions are deactivated and I can no longer do anything, note, the D8B remains lit but ... turned off ..Watch photos
pino68

Postby pino68 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:39 am

m_mixer.jpg
m_mixer.jpg (Array MiB) Viewed 948 times
pino68

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum