Change font size   Print view

Authorization

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Authorization

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:40 am

pino68 wrote:put the hack file in the mackie folder but you don't start and lock everything ...

The easiest method:

1) Install v5.1 operating system, reboot.
    2) Install Plugins service pack, shut down the D8B hardware and remove the disk.
    3) Mount the drive on disk interface hardware for your workstation operating system (Windows, MacOS, Linux).
    4) Rename the MackieOS.EXE in the root directory of the disk on the reader - i.e. MackieOS.EXE.backup
    5) Copy the forked MackieOS.EXE file from your workstation pc to the root directory of the disk on the reader.
    6) Remove the drive from the access hardware and reinstall into the D8B CPU host.
    7) Boot up the D8B hardware...

Enjoy the show...

You can also setup FTP services to perform the same operations, albeit the steps would be just a bit different in the actual mechanical implementation.

As always for transparency purposes:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."

All the best...

\m/ ;)
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:02 pm

Unfortunately I tried to install from floppy version 5.1 but stops at the first diskette and then gives me error, so I can't go on ... help I'm locked ... I can't do not even redo the three diskettes with the v. 5.1Why you need a floppy reader I don't have. Help
I found on amazon a floppy disk reader and tomorrow should get me so I try to install the img ... even if I don't know how to do it ...
Thank you, you're so kind doktor1360
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:15 pm

I don't mean to get mixed in, if you're already on a path to work this out, but just a couple of thoughts:

Are you currently on Mackie OS 5.1, Pino68?

If so, it might be enough to directly replace the MackieOS.exe file, without re-installing everything, if the re-installation is causing issues.

The only trouble with that is, that even if you are on Mackie OS 5.1, already you still somehow have to get the "patched/cracked" MackieOS.exe file on the harddrive in the D8B.

(If you're using an older version of Mackie OS than 5.1, then what I'm saying here won't work).

There are various ways to get that file onto that harddrive, but they're all challenging in their own way.

For example:
Option A: Physically remove the IDE OS drive from the D8B rack, connect it to another computer (e.g. via a USB adapter) and rename the old MackieOS.exe, then put the new/cracked MackieOS.exe in it's place
Option B: Connect to the D8B rack unit from another computer via FTP, to rename the MackieOS.exe file and put the new/cracked MackieOS.exe in it's place. (FTP is pretty tricky to get to work on the D8B... it never worked for me, and I do generally know how to use FTP).
Option C: Use PKZIP to break up the MackieOS.exe file into multiple pieces, so they fit on a couple of floppy drives. Then boot the D8B from a DOS floppy, copy the MackieOS.exe "pieces" from those multiple floppy disks to the D8B's "C:" drive and "reassemble" them (by extracting via PKZIP). Then rename the original MackieOS.exe file and put the new/cracked MackieOS.exe in it's place.

Personally, I'd like to try the last mentioned approach (Option C), because anyone with a D8B rack unit that has the floppy drive working, should be able to do this without having to open the rack case, or without having to deal with FTP (which never worked for me for the D8B).

Long story short - I don't have much time right now, but if you give me a couple of days, I'd like to try if I can create some floppy disc images, that has a spanned version of the patched/cracked "MackieOS.exe" on them, so you could copy the file onto the D8B harddrive via the floppy drive.

...and I'm flattered, but definitely no angel, haha ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:45 pm

pino68 wrote:Unfortunately I tried to install from floppy version 5.1 but stops at the first diskette and then gives me error, so I can't go on ... help I'm locked ... I can't do not even redo the three diskettes with the v. 5.1Why you need a floppy reader I don't have. Help
I found on amazon a floppy disk reader and tomorrow should get me so I try to install the img ... even if I don't know how to do it ...
Thank you, you're so kind doktor1360

pino68 - let's see if this is any help...

Here's the BOM (bill of material), I'd highly recommend procuring this hardware... you're absolutely killing yourself relying on those 3 1/2" floppies. I'll mention I'd also place stress on highly recommending an upgrade to the ancient hard disk that's most likely in play here. It's not a question of 'if' it'll fail, only 'when'... and you'll be right back here for these reasons. However, I'll go thru these pieces real quickly so you can get comfortable with the upgrade(s). First, I'm assuming you're mechanically inclined at a basic level, knowing which is the business end of a screwdriver. That's probably about the most difficult skill required as far as the D8B regarding tool usage, the rest is simply putting things back in together and then being reliant on any/all software involved performing it's intended role. That all being said, just follow along please...

Floppy Emulator - Replacement

Gotek Floppy Adapter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/321429395211

This is the emulator to forever remove the flat-lined floppy tech, and ensure you're gonna be able to repeat this process if necessary at a future date...

Windows Emulation Software App
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/2/3/37231621/usb_floppy_emulator_1.40i.zip

This is the software involved for creating your 'floppy disks', keep in mind this is a M$ Windows product... it works for me on a default Windows 7 installation image (VirtualBox on Linux). I'm not about to get into a discertation right here on how this works, as always I'd suggest RTFM (documents). If, and only then, you'll be knowledgeable enuff to ask the important questions if something doesn't work out in any way. There's enuff users here (myself included) that can guide you thru anything that gets beyond ya...

16GB USB Storage Stick
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2505460.m570.l1311&_nkw=16gb+usb+flash+drive&_sacat=0

Installation media... I don't think we need to discuss this, other than to point out it's older usb tech, obviously less expensive and WAY more than you'll need storage-wise. Moving on...

Hard Disk Drive Replacement

32GB CF Card
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313039423346?epid=2254448407&hash=item48e29a8772:g:8OUAAOSwk9xefeB3

Installation media... replaces the bootable hard disk in the D8B. Like the floppy, it's old tech... noisy, generates heat is certain to fail due to age. Again... not 'if', only 'when'...

IDE-2-CF Card Backplane Adapter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294410202622?hash=item448c372dfe:g:N2gAAOSwjNhhSUzs

THE most convenient way to provide access to the boot media, WITHOUT having to open the cpu host's racked mount case. In the event you've got it racked up, it mitigates having to remove the (heavy-ass) 3U case and unscrewing a dozen or more screws. You only have to do this once - I did, about 5-6 years ago...

That does it for the equipment list, defining the basic function details. This is how you get all the hardware involved installed, it's really quite simple. Firstly, when removed from any racking involved, unscrew the cpu host's case screws... there's about a dozen - and loosen the three (3) screws on the rack ears but don't remove 'em (trust me). Remove the top and set it aside with the screws (don't lose any). You should see all the internal components at this point, the first thing to do is remove the floppy drive from the drive tray. Remove the IDE cable, install the emulator hardware in it's place and reattach the IDE cable to the emulator hardware. That's it... for the hardware portion...

I'm gonna make another assumption, that you already have the downloads for the v5.1 operating system and the plugin service pack. They're obviously instrumental in creating the 'floppy images' the installation procedure expects. Just create the USB 'floppy' installation software, and it's ready for installation. I'd also suggest writing down the indexed order in which you have the floppy images sorted on the USB drive. The most logical approach is that considering that the OS will be installed before the service pack, you'll be using 0-2 for the D8B's installation media disks 1-3 and 3-5 for the service pack media disks.

[0 - D8B Disk #1]
[1 - D8B Disk #2]
[2 - D8B Disk #3]
[3 - Service Pack #1]
[4 - Service Pack #2]
[5 - Service Pack #3]

While you've got the case open, I'm gonna make even another assumption... that you're gonna go ahead and replace that cantankerous, mercurial hard disk... easy enuff. Also, that you already have the hardware for this too. Just unplug the IDE cable from the back of the hard disk as step number one, you can even leave it there if desired. I took mine out and just stored in the mic cabinet somewhere. Install that backplane adapter into an open pci slot along the backplane (it just uses the slot's backplane space, not the slot itself), install the IDE cable and an available power cable... place the top back on the case, torque down all the screws hand tight and you're finished with the hardware.

Now ensure you're D8B and it's host cpu properly connected, insert the USB drive into the emulator on the front panel and flip the 'on' switch. Install the OS, then the plugins and shut the system down. Remove the CF disk from the backplane adapter, replace the MackieOS.EXE file on the installed image of the CF disk with the 'forked' MackieOS.EXE and insert the CF disk into the backplane adapter. Flip the D8B's switch to 'on', and you should be looking at a fully authorized system when it finishes booting up!

I've yet to do this for myself due to my Windows 7 VirtualBox image continually crashing my workstation, but a very interesting point here is this ALL the installation drama can FINALLY be resolved and put to sleep. when executing the process of creating the floppy images on the usb drive in Windows, part of the process is extracting the Mackie build archives files (d8b51_build445_disk[1-2-3].exe). When the process of extracting these file is finished and then transferred to usb, the 'forked' MackieOS.EXE can then be transferred INTO THE INSTALLATION MEDIA that will be installed from the usb! The extra step of removing the finished install, mounting the CF into a reader to copy the file will be eliminated from the process... making this an all-in-one install. To take it a step further, the 'forked' file could be shoe-horned INTO Mackie's EXISTING released installation archive (d8b51_build445_disk[1-2-3].exe) - just have a look here:

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/replace-file-existing-installer-msi.html

END of Story...

Of course, you knew this was coming... so here it is (for transparency purposes)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:42 pm

Hi Doktor, thank you for your advice, but you have to have the patience to explain myself step by step as I have to proceed ... I remind you that I am Italian and I'm getting help from Google translator, so I have some difficulty understanding ...
I like your idea!
But where do I find the files to download D8B v.5.1?
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:46 pm

Again, I don't mean to get in the way - and Doktor1360's recommendation to upgrade the hardware in the D8B while getting the authorization issue resolved, makes a lot of sense.

Perfect proof of that is, that the floppy drive in my D8B as well as in an old Windows 98 computer I use for this sort of stuff, didn't want to work right now. Both of them :(
I'd have to open the computer case for both of them to trouble-shoot, but don't have time to do that any time soon, sorry.

Because of that, I wasn't able to try "Option C" that I had suggested further above, myself. So I gotta try a "dry swimming" approach.

What I WAS able to do, is to compress the patched/hacked MackieOS.exe into a self-extracting (.exe) file, by using WinRAR. The file got small enough to fit on a floppy drive, and I'll attach it here. Unfortunately, I couldn't upload a file with the extension ".exe" directly - the D8B forum doesn't allow that (and for good reason - could be a virus). Because of that, I changed the extension to ".zip" - then it allowed me to upload. But you have to change the name back as described further below, for this file to work as it should.

Other items needed: DOS boot floppy disc

Steps:
1. Download the attached "mackieos_ex_.zip" file (again, it's not really a zip file - it's just named like that to be able to attach here).
2. Rename the file to "mackieos_ex_.EXE" (it's a self-extracting archive in .exe format. By putting the .exe extension back on, the file can be executed in DOS and Windows environments, and will "unpack" itself)
3. Copy the "mackieos_ex_.EXE" file to an empty floppy disc
4. Insert your DOS boot floppy disc into the D8B floppy drive and power on the D8B (if it doesn't start from the floppy but just boots like a mixer, you'll have to change the boot order in the D8B's BIOS so it lists your "A" drive as the first boot device).
If successful, the D8B should start to a point where it just shows a dark screen and green text that says something like "C: _"
5. Take out the DOS floppy, and insert the floppy disc you copied the attached file (mackieos_ex_.EXE) to
6. At the command prompt (where it says "C: _") type each of the lines below and hit "Enter" after you entered each of these lines (this needs to be EXACT - every letter, every space and every other character such as the ":" needs to be exactly like this):
A:
copy mackieos_ex_.EXE C:
C:
rename MackieOS.exe MackieOS.old
mackieos_ex_.EXE
rename MackieOS.EX_ MackieOS.EXE
7. After that, remove the floppy disc from the drive, and turn off the D8B

If everything worked out, the D8B should just boot up WITHOUT an activation prompt after this.

Basically, what that should do, is to copy a zipped/compressed version of the patched/cracked "MackieOS.EXE" file from the floppy disc to your D8B's hard drive.
Then you rename the original MackieOS.EXE file on your D8B harddrive (.old), so you can bring it back if needed
Then you extract the zipped/compressed "patched" version of the MackieOS.EXE file.
And because WinZip also didn't allow me to put an .exe file into a self-extracting .exe archive, I had to rename that file, too. So, what is getting extracted is a file called "MackieOS.EX_".
So, the last command line step described above, is to rename the patched/cracked file from "MackieOS.EX_" to "MackieOS.EXE".
...essentially, all this equates to having replaced the original MackieOS.exe file with the patched/cracked version, via the floppy drive.

It's just this complicated, because the MackieOS.exe file itself is around 2 MB in size, while floppy drives have a capacity of 1.44 MB maximum. So, we needed to get the file to get smaller to fit on a floppy drive. Then we need a different way to boot the D8B, that allows us to access the files on it (i.e. DOS boot floppy).

In the end, it's just a simple "replace original MackieOS.exe file with patched MackieOS.exe" thing. All the steps around it, are just there to get a "too large" file into the D8B, without changing any of the hardware, or taking the harddrive itself out. (Or getting FTP to work... which never worked for me).

If this did NOT work out for you, please let me know. I couldn't try this myself just now, since my floppy drive doesn't want to work... but generally, it should work like this (hopefully, I don't have any typos or missing steps in there - I can't double-check without a working floppy drive, sorry).

If you don't have a DOS boot floppy, let me know, and also tell me what version of Windows you're running on your PC that has a floppy drive. Old Windows versions have the ability to create a DOS boot floppy without downloading anything. But I think that stopped at some point.

Anyway - please let me know how far you got with this, then we can work out how to continue from there.

AGAIN, DO NOT DO THIS, if you're not currently running MackieOS 5.1. If you try this with any other version of the MackieOS, it will make things worse, and your D8B won't boot anymore. (If that happens, you can just rename the ".old" file back to how it was, to restore operation to how it was before this... but better to not even try, if you're not on V5.1)
Attachments
mackieos_ex_.zip
(Array KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Last edited by Y-my-R on Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:18 am

Y-my-R wrote:What I WAS able to do, is to compress the patched/hacked MackieOS.exe into a self-extracting (.exe) file, by using WinRAR. The file got small enough to fit on a floppy drive, and I'll attach it here. Unfortunately, I couldn't upload a file with the extension ".exe" directly - the D8B forum doesn't allow that (and for good reason - could be a virus). Because of that, I changed the extension to ".zip" - then it allowed me to upload. But you have to change the name back as described further below, for this file to work as it should.

Other items needed: DOS boot floppy disc

Steps:

Yup... the zip file url link you posted with the MackieOS.EXE contained is the 'forked' executable I was referring to. The rest of that post is quite valid, probably a lot more useful to the original poster. Glad you could have perhaps simplified it for him, I tend to get too damn Geeky...

Take note of that last part Y-my-R... that executable could be shoe-horned into the Community Release for ALL... resulting in throwing dirt over the authorization issue(s), burying them where they belong never to be seen or heard from again... 8-)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:52 pm

Hello. When I put the os v5.1con diskette "format: On" option and I try to install on new HD, it gives me error and I can't go ahead.
The floppy reader of my Mackie works well and has no problems.
Unfortunately I tried to put another HD with the 5.1 system installed but also with this error and does not charge anything.
I can't make a floppy with MS-DOS because I don't have enough explanations.
thank you
pino68

Postby pino68 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:07 pm

396830cb-1515-4cb5-9153-b87b7543dd3e.jpg
396830cb-1515-4cb5-9153-b87b7543dd3e.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 937 times
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:37 pm

pino68 wrote:
396830cb-1515-4cb5-9153-b87b7543dd3e.jpg

That's a permissions error (#3 read), I'm gonna stick my neck out and put forth you've either got a bad floppy drive and/or bad disk(s). What bothers me is the 'UNHANDLED PIC INTERRUPT', as that is most of the time gonna indicate that there's an issue w/ the PIC microcontroller. I've never seen that error with regards to any D8B/HDR issue before. It's really difficult to point a finger at something in this instance, but I'd bet the mortgage it has to do with the floppy drive and/or disk media, somewhere in that sub-system architecture. You've indicated the floppy drive is known 'good', so anyone would have to assume that isn't the issue... then you're probably looking at the disk(s) because nothing else has exhibited operational failure... rinse/repeat. I still wouldn't rely on this piece of tech (floppy drive), as I'm merely speculating on the what I'm seeing displayed on your CRT monitor. Floppy drives are ancient, unreliable and generally problematic at this point - which is not to say that you may have even deeper issues moving forward... or something as simple as a bad or poorly formatted disk... {shrugs} :?

What you ultimately need to do is eat this elephant of a problem one bite at a time. Personally, if you can't or feel uncomfortable with replacing that floppy drive with an emulator, find a local tech. It's easy, and you can get it taken care of in minimal time, and I wouldn't think it's gonna set you back too much money-wise... the savings in time will more than cover this outlay. Never mind the headaches trying suss all this out. Then all you'd have to do is create the USB media and complete the installation properly. We're not only dealing with the 'D8B' here, it's a technical issue that has to be addressed before you have any hope of getting that software installed to a bootable media...

Opinion : It appears you require the services of a tech to step in and mitigate this issue to continue. :ugeek:

Just stay diligent, and keep posting on this issue here in this thread. You'll get it all worked out eventually, it's not a question of 'if' only 'when'...

As always, and it certainly applies here, for transparency purposes :
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum