Change font size   Print view

d8b Fader 1-8 section "Warm" To Touch

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: d8b Fader 1-8 section "Warm" To Touch

Postby captainamerica » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:37 pm

you may try contacting these guys, they specialize in all things Mackie related (I think they are former Mackie repair technicians)

http://www.sxproaudio.com

I have used them in the past when I had major issues with my board and they are very good. However, they are located here in the US, in Tukwila, WA.
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:32 pm

Funk, thanks for the advice. I will try that. It seems to be only faders 1-4. I wonder if this anything to do with the 12 volt supply.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:25 am

If it's a 12v problem, wouldn't that effect all faders on that block?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:10 pm

Phil - that is a good point. I wonder if the contacts are dirty of the ribbon connector needs prodding.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:34 am

Well, anythings worth a try. I had a fader bank go down with a blown cap, very visible, it also burnt the connector strips going to it, I replaced the cap and repaired the strips but the cap must have caused damage to another componant, maybe a chip?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 pm

Phil.c wrote:Well, anythings worth a try. I had a fader bank go down with a blown cap, very visible, it also burnt the connector strips going to it, I replaced the cap and repaired the strips but the cap must have caused damage to another componant, maybe a chip?

That can be explained in a way, Phil... when that cap blew, it took out the trace(s), the 'connector strips'. That's the visible damage, however those silk screened circuit boards are multi-layer. There's most likely traces that were destroyed in the internal layers 'invisible' upon inspection even to the best eyeballs. Capacitors have specific purposes, in this case it's most likely for stabilizing the 5VDC distribution (it's clearly not for audio bypass purposes)... they'll generally hold a charge stable @ 5VDC. Once you open up a trace(s), the potential for ancillary damage increases greatly. Repairing them is often onerous and odious at best... canare wire, schematic diagram(s), an ohm meter and a good bit of time / patience (uhgg). The offending trace(s) would have to checked end-to-end and repaired. Even when that's complete, ya never know... and then there's the ol 'what dafuq actually caused the problem' thing that should be considered. Chances are, flipping the 'on' switch is just gonna light the replaced cap back up and the same issue will 'magically' return. The problem most likely being elsewhere...

From what I'm reading here, 4 of 8 channel faders are affected... I'd check any op amps and/or the discreet stuff involved, the circuitry involved most likely handles everything in pairs - 4 channels each (1-4, 5-8 respectively)... I'm actually speculating, as I don't have the prints in front of me and I'm up to my ass in alligators of my own at the moment. I'll keep an eye on this thread tho, maybe I can be of some sort of help...

Pardon for any bandwidth waste...

AND of course, for transparency purposes... you knew this was coming...
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am

This is when you know you have problems :D :D :D

Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Tad warm!

Quiet the setup!

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:08 pm

Nothing to worry about Bruce a bucket of water sorted it :)
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum