Change font size   Print view

new problem

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

new problem

Postby garrett21allen » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:48 am

Hi everyone

my d8b gives the no signal when it is booting up. but it keeps rebooting and every time it says no signal.
I checked the bios and about three things were off so I fixed that. on the other thread, I was having trouble with my mouse freezing up. my d8b was booting up until my mouse froze up, and just went back in today to boot it up to see if the mouse still froze up and it started showing no signal when trying to boot her up today. any ideal what it could be.
thanks for any kind of help.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: new problem

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:38 am

Hi Joe;
Sorry for your trouble:(.
Could you give some more detail please. What do youn mean by "no signal"?
Do you get the boot sequence, but have boot failure?
Assunming the BIOS setting are correct, have you tried a different mouse? I know the d8b & HDR seem to be fussy about the mouse.
Like to hear more.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:15 pm

thanks, bruce

sorry for not explaining it better. let me try again. as the d8b is booting up as it is going through its sequence it is showing what it should then in the middle of the monitor a no signal
sign will come up. and it just keeps going through the booting procedure over and over for about four times then error 43 shows up on the d8b meter bridge. the bios had three things that were wrong so I reset them. but it still showing the no signal when trying to boot it up. the booting up never stops booting until I cut the d8b off with the switch. I have never seen the no signal sign on my d8b until now after booting so many times it will show error 43.
looks like I may have to go in the d8b and check some things in there.I did wiggle and rehooked the big friggen cable did not help. I just hate to go in the d8b. just hate to unhook everything just to get in the d8b. that's life though. thanks for any help.

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:48 pm

Did you reseat the Data connectors ?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:50 pm

thanks, Phil

No, I have not reset them yet but I will just as soon as I go to my building
thanks again

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:30 pm

A "no signal" message on the monitor-screen that is connected to the D8B rack unit, is usually not generated by the D8B, but by your monitor, if it doesn't get any signal.

If you unplug the monitor from the D8B, it should show exactly the same thing.

So, if it goes through the regular stuff, like counting up the memory, etc., and then suddenly goes blank, it likely means that at the point where the BIOS-bootup sequence hands control over to the Mackie operating system, something goes wrong and the Mackie OS either doesn't continue booting (e.g. corrupt installation or problem with the harddrive), or the video card stops outputting signal or somehow can't deal with the resolution the D8B sends to it.

You didn't replace the monitor, right?

Do you still see the green asterisk blinking for a moment, or the graphical D8B screen before it says "no signal", or does it do that before any "graphical" content gets displayed and right after it still showed "text only" stuff on the screen?

If you still see "graphical" output, it's more likely that the OS installation has a problem, and the graphics card is fine.
If you don't get any graphical output, it could still be the OS drive, but I'd just try re-seating the video card, too... in case some of the pins don't get proper contact, that are related to graphical output (but not to non-graphical text-only output... not sure though, if different contacts on the video card are used for that).

If you're not shy to re-install (or have another drive clone lying around), I'd just swap (or re-install) the drive and see if it behaves differently afterwards... especially since you had mouse freeze-up problems, and now worse problems. Could be a slowly corrupting OS drive.

If a re-install fixes the issue, but the problem comes back soon, then you're drive is likely going bad. Is this a spinning drive, or a solid state?

...but as Phil pointed out... reseating all the connections is always a good idea, before doing more drastic stuff, like re-installing the OS.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 pm

...but on the other hand, if BIOS settings were wrong... do you know if you set them properly, before, and they changed by themselves?

If they changed by themselves, then also replace the battery (and leave the D8B sitting without a battery for some time), of course, and put the right settings back in afterwards).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm

Oops! didn't see the monitor issue, Over the past I've had two HD's go down, but this is when everything was up and running, the D8B just froze, but the telltale sign was a continuous clicking from the HD.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:18 am

Thanks, W-MY -R
No, I did not replace the monitor. as for the hard drive I have mud duck system in my d8b with the disk in the back of the d8b. it has worked fine for a good while could be that the disk has gone bad. as for booting up, it goes all the way
just like it's going to boot. only to restart booting again. thanks

joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:36 pm

Hi Joe,

Did you try to reseat the CF card, already (while the D8B is off)? Maybe it's just not making contact as it should? If what I'm saying below doesn't work, you might also want to check/reseat the cable connections of the mud duck system to the mainboard, etc..

If that doesn't work... I don't really know what's pre-installed on the mud duck system. Is it the 5.1 OS with the "old" crack, and the plug-ins pre-authorized? I think the mud duck solution was around before the new crack was around, right? Anyway... shouldn't make a difference. In the end, you'll just need "any" working/authorized version of MackieOS 5.1 on a (new) flash card, so you could use either crack to make that happen.

Do you have a card reader for your CF card on your PC (or Mac... but I don't think you can easily make a working clone from the Mac side)? And maybe even a spare CF card?

If so, I'd just play the CF card image/clone onto a 2nd CF card (via your computer), put that in your D8B, and see if this solves the issue. That's kinda the whole point of having the card easily accessible from the card slot in the back.

I looked for instructions right now, and this thread has two good links in the top post, so maybe start there:

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/tpis.html#Post21

If you DON'T have a spare CF card, you could also backup what's on your CF card right now (e.g. via the Macrium trial on PC), then format your existing CF card, and clone a FRESH image (not the one from your existing CF card... that one probably has an issue or damaged sectors) to your existing CF card again.

But IMO, it would be better to keep your original CF card as a sort of backup, and just mess with it again, after the D8B works with a different CF card... but that's just how I'd personally go about it.

From my experience, (NAND based) CF card sector corruption (if that's the root cause, not sure), is not quite as critical as when sectors on spinning harddrives go bad. If a sector goes bad, it corrupts the data that was stored there... however, when re-formatting, those sectors usually just get marked as bad, while the rest of the CF card often times still works fine... without the corruption necessarily spreading to other sectors of the drive (like it typically does on spinning drives... there, once a sector goes bad, it's kind of a countdown until others will, too). For example, I have a NAND based memory card in my old Wii (hacked to accept Japanese and US games), that reported bad sectors, and it's been working for many years after formatting and getting the bad sectors marked. So, after formatting & cloning or reinstalling the MackieOS back to the same CF card, you have a good chance of it working just fine again. But that's only if the cause was indeed sector corruption on your CF card.

It's also possible that something else went wrong with the Mud Duck system, or hardware on your D8B rack... but IMO, trying another CF card, or re-installing the OS to the existing one, is the easiest of all options to get started with, and wouldn't even make it necessary to take the rack unit apart.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum