Change font size   Print view

Using Outboard Equipment

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Using Outboard Equipment

Postby isonomic » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a new user to the D8B so apologise if this has already been answered.

I was wondering if it's possible to use the insert jacks on channels 1-12 on the tape returns (Fader bank 2) or if they can only be used on the desk inputs (Fader bank 1).
I ask because I would like to use some outboard compressors and EQ's as inserts on what is returning from my computer without having to use Aux's or the 8 bus outputs and cant seem to see how to do this on fader bank 2.

D8B Set Up:
x3 Apogee optical tape cards
Apogee Word Clock Card
Motu LP32

Let me know if you need anymore info and apologies if I've not been very clear :)

Thanks! :)
isonomic

Re: Using Outboard Equipment

Postby Jondav1120 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi Isonomic,

The insert jacks on channels 1-12 are part of the analog section of the mixer, and as such are fixed in their association with channels 1-12.
The only way I can see to get the signals on bank 2 out of the mixer to your outboard compressors and EQ's would be to route them to an aux send. Ideally you would bring them back in using an analog card in the alt I/O slot. If this is not an option then you could bring the returns back in using the line inputs (channels 13-24).
Hope that helps...

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby isonomic » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:40 pm

I thought this would be the case, I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something on the GUI or anything :D

Thanks for replying John!
isonomic

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:17 am

Hey guys;
As another option if your Computer outputs can be analog, you can bring them through channels 1-12 and use ithe inserts.
Just stating the obvious as sometime it is over looked (forest - trees).

Happy New Year!
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Rivers » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:22 pm

As Jondav pointed out, the insert jacks are hard-wired to the mic/line inputs on the first bank. But the tape return inputs need to come from somewhere - if you're using analog I/O cards in those slots, you can always patch an outboard processor in line between the source and the tape return input.

The complication would be the connectors if you're using a no-patchbay setup such as DB-25 cables directly between an HDR and the d8b. The solution is a patchbay but that might be a bigger investment in time and money for an occasional hookup. But well worth it if you frequently use outboard analog processing equipment.

If you're using digital (ADAT optical or AES3) inputs for the tape returns, that's probably more complicated than you'd want to deal with. But bless your heart for wanting to include traditional signal processing in your mixing chain.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby isonomic » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:13 pm

Yea, unfortunately I'm using ADAT for my tape returns, I have a work around so its alright for now! :D

I thought a traditional signal process would be a nice workflow with my outboard if it were possible, i'm still happy to use a work around though i love my d8b, especially since I got 5.1 to work !
isonomic

Postby Crash » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:25 pm

dXb old.jpg
dXb old.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1197 times

This is a dXb, but it used to be a d8b sitting there. With the buss outputs and an analog card in the Alt I/O slot, you can do quite a bit of external stuff as you can see with this rig.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi Crash

I think you have way too much analog outboard gear. I will be happy for you to send me some of it LOL

Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:57 pm

garrett21allen wrote:Hi Crash

I think you have way too much analog outboard gear. I will be happy for you to send me some of it LOL

Joe Allen

Yea...it's gotten pretty ridiculous now that the plugin world has hit as well in my world. The dxb runs VST's and then all of the stuff I can run with United Audio in the Mac Pro (not pictured as the iMac has been replaced) plus the other plugins. It's pretty insane at the power everyone has at this point. Still love me room warming tubes and other whizbang boxes.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:54 pm

You should do the mod on your 436c to add a 25mls attack to it's 50mls :)
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum