Change font size   Print view

d8b Data Cable Between CPU and Console

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b Data Cable Between CPU and Console

Postby Mike Rivers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 am

The visiting console arrived today, but without the data cable between the CPU and console. Is it a straight pin-to-pin DB-25 cable (I have plenty of these) or does it have some crossed wiring? He probably has the official cable but I'm impatient (intermittently, thankfully).

I'd just like to know before I plug in a straight cable and blow something up.

I expected to find a wiring diagram or at least a pin listing for that cable, but I searched the service manual that I have an all I could find was the part number, no drawing.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: d8b Data Cable Between CPU and Console

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 am

I "misused" a couple different DB25 cables that were originally for a different purpose, and it usually just worked. I'd think it's pin-to-pin, yes.

I have one extra long DB25 cable, that caused weird issues when using it as an extension cable with the ProBox... not sure if that was because of the cable length, or because the cable doesn't use a 1-1 pinout. But every other random DB25 cable I had lying around, grabbed and hooked up, usually just worked as expected. (..and of course you're not asking about the ProBox... but the connectors for use as an extension, are the same as when connecting between the desk and console).

Having said that, though... when I say "DB25" cable, I mean serial/parallel computer cables, and not Pro-Audio DB25-to-DB25 cables. I don't have any such cables (all my DB25 audio cables, end in something else, like TRS or XLR, etc.).

...but maybe I was just lucky that nothing ever blew up, and I have mostly the right cables, only (I think I have about 4 or 5 of them, and was never careful which one I used when I had to re-wire the desk for some reason).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:40 am

Hello Mike,

One of my two D8B's turned up without its data cable...So, yes, I can confirm that it should be wired straight through, all pins connected, DB25 connectors. Both of my consoles are in storage, so I can't help with which end needs to be male / female, but I believe a paralell printer extension cable should do the job.

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Mike Rivers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:24 am

Thanks, folks. I'll use a 'a general purpose' cable. I have gender changes in case I need one.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum