Change font size   Print view

Extending the BFC cable

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Extending the BFC cable

Postby Crash » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:40 pm

That is definitely not something that rolled out of Mackie. They never made anything 50 feet. I want to say the one I saw was 6-10 feet.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:19 pm

I think Crash is right. I took the lid off the back of the Argosy desk, and was able to look at the print on the outside of the multicore cable. It indicates that it’s by “Storm Products” - the OEM supplier mentioned earlier in this thread.

Seems to be the same type of cable, per the print on it. Here’s what’s printed on the original (shorter) umbilical cord:

AWM STYLE 2103 105 °C 300V VW-1 STORM PRODUCTS-WA LL41319 CSA AWM II B 105 °C 300V FT-1

For easier comparison, here’s what it says on the longer cable again:
AWM STYLE 2103 105 °C 300V VW-1 KEMCOR INC. LL219875 CSA AWM TT B 105 °C 300V FT-1

So, apart from the company name, the “LL-number” and the “II” vs. “TT” (I have to double-check if it might actually have said TT on the long cable as well), it’s the same print.

Looks like this might be some sort of standard cable that was made by multiple suppliers (…and not necessarily Mackie’s suppliers). Makes it more likely that you could still source a longer cable to make your own, I think.

Having said that, I personally never had the longer cable attached. And I didn’t really think to ask the seller at the time, if he had a reason to remove it and put the shorter cable back on. Maybe it didn’t work out, after all, and the longer cable was just an experiment…? Not sure.

I could look if I can still find the seller’s contact info. Maybe he’ll still respond. It’s been a few years, though.

Is the info if the longer cable was in use and worked (or not) something that is useful to you guys? Or is there no need to try to reach the original owner?
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:33 pm

Also, I tried to do a few searches... and while I couldn't find these kinds of cables for purchase (yet), I found that Kemcor, the brand name on the longer cable, is also from Woodinville, WA (like Mackie).

http://www.kemcor.com/

Might be a coincidence, but maybe there WAS some sort of Kemcor/Mackie connection, after all ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 am

Y-my-R wrote:Also, I tried to do a few searches... and while I couldn't find these kinds of cables for purchase (yet), I found that Kemcor, the brand name on the longer cable, is also from Woodinville, WA (like Mackie).

http://www.kemcor.com/

Might be a coincidence, but maybe there WAS some sort of Kemcor/Mackie connection, after all ;)

I clicked on the link and immediately recognized the building. That is the old Storm building down the road from where Mackie was, so I am guessing that Storm became Kemcor at some point. I used to drive by that building everyday on my way to Mackie. FYI, Carver was also on the same road....as was the Redhook brewery where many beverages were consumed by the d8b crew.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Feels like we just accomplished some detective work, Sherlock! Comparing the prints on the cables, and unveiling forgotten Mackie supplier partnership history, hahaha :D

Very interesting, that Storm and Kemcor seem to be more or less the same thing, or one turned into the other.

My guess would be that they only do larger quantities, such as for Mackie at the time... but wonder if they'd do a custom "small-quantity" special order, if a couple of people from this forum would want to get longer cables made and submit a joint order.

Just a thought (but I wouldn't need another long cable) :)

Might be worth to ask them (Kemcor)... but I guess it would still be a good idea if I'd try the long cable I got first, to make sure that this is even working. Not that I somehow ended up with a failed proof-of-concept prototype that doesn't actually work, or something ;)

...or maybe they might still have some length of the original multi-core cable (sans BFC) in their warehouse somewhere, and would sell that for a DYI project (i.e. move connectors from original cable to longer cable). Anyway... just thinking out loud. Who knows, maybe Kemcor are friendly and cooperative...
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Thanks Crash and Y-my-R,

...or maybe they might still have some length of the original multi-core cable (sans BFC) in their warehouse somewhere, and would sell that for a DYI project (i.e. move connectors from original cable to longer cable). Anyway... just thinking out loud. Who knows, maybe Kemcor are friendly and cooperative...

And, if they don't have any cable hanging around gathering dust, they may be able to find the old cable spec...core sizes, current ratings, etc. That would be very useful information to have when looking at alternative cable options.

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby captainamerica » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:42 am

looks like cable extenders will be a big job to tackle,.....and we move on !
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 pm

I sent an e-mail to Kemcor Inc. just now. They responded within minutes, saying this:

Good day,

I believe, now Mackie is owned by Loud Technology.

If you have permission from new owner, we will be glad to make cable for you.

Does anyone here have an in with Mackie/Loud Technologies, where we could ask for permission?

I know a former Mackie employee who might be able to put me in touch with someone... but a more direct contact would be better, of course. @Crash, you used to work there, right? Are you still in contact with someone who's still at Loud/Mackie?
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Y-my-R wrote:I sent an e-mail to Kemcor Inc. just now. They responded within minutes, saying this:

Good day,

I believe, now Mackie is owned by Loud Technology.

If you have permission from new owner, we will be glad to make cable for you.

Does anyone here have an in with Mackie/Loud Technologies, where we could ask for permission?

I know a former Mackie employee who might be able to put me in touch with someone... but a more direct contact would be better, of course. @Crash, you used to work there, right? Are you still in contact with someone who's still at Loud/Mackie?

Yep, chances are I have touched your d8b in some way if you still own one. I know one guy that is still there after all these years but the Mackie of then is not the Mackie of now, so... I can reach out but I am not sure that there is anyone left that would even know where to go for permission. I wonder who they would need permission from..... I'll ask and see where it goes.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks very much, Crash!

I asked my ex-Mackie contact on Friday, and he reached out to someone he's still in contact with at Mackie/Loud with me in CC, this morning.
Hopefully it's not the same guy, so we don't annoy him too much? From what my contact said, he also used to work the D8B line, so it might be someone you used to work with :)

I'll send you a PM to check if it's the same guy. Don't want to share anything publicly on here.

...I still have 3 D8Bs, btw., so, between those, you most certainly touched at least one of them, I'm guessing, hahaha ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum