Change font size   Print view

Extending the BFC cable

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Extending the BFC cable

Postby captainamerica » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:10 pm

I know this is a custom cable and connector but has anyone tried to extend this cable? Ideally, I would like an extra 10 feet and not sure if this would introduce other electro anomalies. Thanks and be safe everyone
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Extending the BFC cable

Postby Jondav1120 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi,

I can't see any major reason why it shouldn't be possible to extend the cable. I think there is a link somewhere in the forum (or the database) for the connector...however, I can't recall whether a cable mount socket was available or not. There are several ways of approachig this, you can either;
1. remove the existing plug from the end of the cable, splice a length of cable on to the end of the existing cable and reattach the plug.
2. Do the same thing at the other end...remove existing cable from the CPU, splice a length of cable on to the end and reattach to the CPU.
3. Make up an extension lead, plug on one end and socket on the other (if a cable mount socket is unavailable, then this option may be a non-starter!).

From an electrical point of view, increasing the length of the cable will increase the voltage drop alomg the cable, however, it looks from the schematics as though Mackie extended the voltage sense wire for the 5V power supply right up to the BFC on the back of the console, so the power supply should actually compensate for the increased voltage drop.
Sorry, I have no idea how many cores the cable has (or the size of the cores).

Hope that helps!

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Crash » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:21 pm

That big ass connector and cable were sourced from a company called Storm that was located just down the road from Mackie at the time. I am skeptical that you could source the parts at this point, except for getting what you need off of a donor parts rig. I seem to recall seeing at least a prototype extension at one point, though it never made it into production, I am guessing from lack of demand.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks Crash and John....looks like I need to think more about going down this road !
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:36 pm

I never measured it (and want to keep it), but when I bought my first pair of D8B consoles, they came with a separate (not connected, but with the right internal connectors) umbilical cord. Maybe about twice the length of the regular one.

I never tried using it, but the fact that it came with the desk(s) and looked just like the original ones (just longer) would suggest to me that a longer cord should generally work.

Sorry that I don't really want to part with it right now. I'm still thinking to put together some sort of air conditioned machine closet/rack, etc., and if I do, would likely need the longer cable.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks...that's exactly the issue. I have a machine room were I keep all my server farm away from the control room due to fan and emf noise, but now need to extend it a bit more (moving console desk out a few feet).
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:11 am

Y-my-R wrote:I never measured it (and want to keep it), but when I bought my first pair of D8B consoles, they came with a separate (not connected, but with the right internal connectors) umbilical cord. Maybe about twice the length of the regular one.

I never tried using it, but the fact that it came with the desk(s) and looked just like the original ones (just longer) would suggest to me that a longer cord should generally work.

Sorry that I don't really want to part with it right now. I'm still thinking to put together some sort of air conditioned machine closet/rack, etc., and if I do, would likely need the longer cable.

Interesting, I never saw any of those go out the door. I guess maybe a few are out there then. Do you remember how it was packaged when you got it? There isn't room in a d8b box or the power supply box for that much big ass cable.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:48 pm

I bought the desk(s) and the extra cable used, and there was no packaging included.

Honestly, I haven't really looked closely at the longer cable, and just tucked it away to store it after I got it. I just unrolled and measured it, and took the attached pics.

Upon closer inspection, it doesn't look all that original, after all. Either that, or someone messed with the BFC... seems loose, and I guess there's parts missing (I can't easily reached the BFC on the D8B I'm using, since it's in a closed Argosy desk... and the other rack units are also mounted in a "storage rack" so it's hard to get to the back).

Anyway... hopefully the pics can give a clue if this was original or not.

It's pretty exactly 50 feet long, by the way. Mine's longer than yours, hahaha ;) (Albeit, dysfunctional since not connected... groan...)

D8B_50foot_Umbilical.JPG
D8B_50foot_Umbilical.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 3560 times
Attachments
D8B_50foot_Umbilical_BFC.JPG
D8B_50foot_Umbilical_BFC.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 3560 times
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi Y-my-R,

Interesting...the cable cores are the correct colours (orange and black = 5v & Gnd, purple and yellow 12v & Gnd, other four are the +/-16v, +48v & Gnd) and with the correct connectors for the CPU end. Also, it looks as though it may be screened.
The BFC is missing the cable clamp from the back, but otherwise that could be straight out of the factory. The cable is fairly unique (certainly an off-the-shelf cable would not have multiple cores of the same colour within the same outer jacket), did Mackie / Storm get a custom multicore cable made for the D8B?
I've often toyed with the idea of making longer cables for my pair of D8B's, but never got round to opening the CPU up to work out the number of cores and the size...could you count the number of cores and take a guess at the size of them, please?

Many thanks

John
Jondav1120

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 am

I'm counting 18 cores... at least when it comes to the wires that end up at the internal connectors. 1 x 10 pin, 1 x 5 pin (with one of them open), and one 4-pin.

Not sure about the gauge of the internal wires, and I always get confused how higher numbers are thinner wires (or something), but maybe what it says on the outside of the cable gives a clue:

AWM STYLE 2103 105 °C 300V VW-1 KEMCOR INC. LL219875 CSA AWM II B 105 °C 300V FT-1

(Not sure about the FT-1 at the end, but everything else was easy to read... and then of course it repeats).

I'd compare to the regular/shorter umbilical cord, but as mentioned, that's kinda hard to get right now for me.

I'm also attaching some pictures.

The guy I bought my initial two D8B consoles from (I have 3 now), is a pretty successful documentary and film music composer who still does that for a living. From what I understand, he bought them both new... he bought the second one as a spare, when his first one acted up occasionally, and when he had to get it serviced (he just didn't want any down-time, so he bought a second console. I asked, and he never messed with the insides of the console/rack himself).

So, I think he would absolutely been able to afford to get a custom cable made, if he needed a longer cable run. Heck, his (mind-blowing) studio has a 7-foot grand piano and a panorama view of the pacific ocean, from a house on the hills in a beach community! That was probably the most amazing personal studio I've ever been in, when I picked up those desks (he also had a Radar unit lying around, that he used to use with them as the recorder) :)

Anyway... one of these days, I'll hook up that cable and move the rack unit/computer to an adjacent room. I hope the info I'm sharing helps others, who need a longer cable (...sorry, still don't want to part with it).

D8B_50foot_Umbilical_MolexShield_Closeup.JPG
D8B_50foot_Umbilical_MolexShield_Closeup.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 3514 times

D8B_50foot_Umbilical_labels.JPG
D8B_50foot_Umbilical_labels.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 3514 times
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum