Change font size   Print view

d8b OS Installer Download Source

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b OS Installer Download Source

Postby Mike Rivers » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:07 pm

After being away from a d8b for about 20 years, one is coming to visit me, and might take up permanent residence if enough of it works and I still think it's the best digital console for recording purposes than any of the new digital consoles available today. .

I couldn't find the software installer files on the Mackie web site, so I came here and couldn't find them here either. Is there a place to download the files? I figure that I should start off my adventure with a fresh load, if I can find one. Version 5.1 if available (that was after my time at Mackie) or Version 3 will do.

OK, I'll amend this. I found a Mackie page with Mac versions of the installers (HQX files).

https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-p ... gory/11403

I can probably find a un-HQXer for Windows if I don't already have one, but would prefer the real Windows version.

And the more you learn . . . OK, so WinZip will extract files from an HQX file, but what I get is an SEA file. Wonder what will run that under Windows so I can get the EXE installer? Drawing a blank so far.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: d8b OS Installer Download Source

Postby Jondav1120 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Hello Mike,

Good to see you here again. The link to the files you need is here (V5.1) or here (V3). Odd about the Mackie website not showing the windows files...they always used to be there!

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Mike Rivers » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:25 pm

Thanks a bunch, John. I'll probably be popping in here with dumb questions once I get the d8b set up here.

Odd that Mackie only has the Mac versions on line. The data base here was the first place I looked, but I couldn't find a link to the files. It's probably right in front of me.

Do I remember correctly that Version 5.1 requires registration? I wonder if the console that's coming a lodger here is set up for it. I'll find out later this week. I just piddle in the studio now, so if it's stuck at Version 3, I'm sure I can do whatever comes along with that.

- Mike
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jondav1120 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 am

Hello Mike,

You are quite correct...the official V5.1 does still require verification, and I'm sure you will recall the uproar over the demise of the registration server at Mackie... Unfortunately, this means that there are no new or existing registration codes (OS or plugins)available from Mackie!
However, due to the fantastic efforts of other users of this forum, there are now at least a couple of hacked V5.1 files available that allow the full V5.1 to run with all the plugins.
Speaking of plugins, my apologies, I omitted to provide a link to the plugin disks...available here.

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Crash » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 pm

Mike Rivers wrote:After being away from a d8b for about 20 years, one is coming to visit me, and might take up permanent residence if enough of it works and I still think it's the best digital console for recording purposes than any of the new digital consoles available today. . .

Good to see you back in these parts Mike. I loved the d8b and mine worked flawlessly right up until I retired it. I found a dxb that I couldn't help but restore and make my main console. While the dxb is what the next evolution of the d8b should have been, there are some things that it won't do that the d8b does.

One thing you won't find is a better bunch of people to support you on your d8b journey. I built my fair of those consoles and the knowledge base is beyond anything I could offer at this point. Truly smart folks here. I could only wish to have the dxb crew over on this forum. There is a FB group that is hit and miss on community support for the dxb, and that's about it for a forum type situation.

Enjoy your d8b journey, it was a powerful setup when paired with an HDR..or two.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Rivers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 am

Jondav1120 wrote:You are quite correct...the official V5.1 does still require verification, and I'm sure you will recall the uproar over the demise of the registration server at Mackie...

My memory is foggy but I indeed remember the row when on-line registration was shut down. As I recall, you could get bailed out by Tech Support for a while, but I'm sure no longer.

The console came over today along with a copy of the owner's manual, in which he put a page with a bunch of license codes. He couldn't remember if he got Version 5, but thinks it's probably still on Version 3.

I'll open up the CPU box in the next few days, install a new battery, check the BIOS settings, and see what comes up. What's missing (and I'll post a new dumb question here about it) is the data cable that goes between the console and CPU. Is it a straight pin-to-pin cable (if it's a ribbon, it would be) or is there some crossed wiring?

The power cable is there and the board powers up.
--
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:24 pm

hi mike its a straight pin to pin, you can buy a printer one D25 from ebay and it works just fine
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DB25-Pin-Par ... %3A2334524

if you can onlyget a male to male lead then just get a d25 female adapter ( gender changer)
for the other end ( as you need male one end and female the other)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D25-25-Pin-P ... %3A2334524
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Return to d8b Forum