Change font size   Print view

Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Postby spmonkay » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Please somebody help meeeeeeeee!!!!! Lol!!
spmonkay

Re: Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:50 am

spmonkay wrote:Please somebody help meeeeeeeee!!!!! Lol!!

What kind of help do You need??? :D :) ;) 8-)
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:07 am

Well no one has replied to my earlier post! I’m a tad stuck cause I don’t want to buy additional hardware if I don’t need too! I just want to get my d8b setup and working!!
spmonkay

Postby captainamerica » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi Steve, there are folks here with more experience than I, that use the setup you are proposing with Logic. I use the d8b more as a line mixer with my external Mackie Control surfaces and DP.
The site can be quiet at times so you might have to be patient for an answer :) I assume you have also looked at http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html for a good resource to any other questions?
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:52 pm

spmonkay wrote:Well no one has replied to my earlier post! I’m a tad stuck cause I don’t want to buy additional hardware if I don’t need too! I just want to get my d8b setup and working!!

What is problem with Your setup? I working with Cubase and Pro Tools (hardware), can I help You? You nedd to setup D8B, or You need to setup Your studio environment with Your D8B? ;)
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm

This is a copy of my original message. I hope someone can help!

Hi all, I’ve just recently aquired a d8b from a friend and have little to no knowledge about them. It’s got apogee cards in it including word clock and a couple of optical cards. I also have a pro box with it. I have a focusrite Safire pro 40 as well.

I would ideally like to use it as a control surface for Logic Pro x but still utilise the channels and fx on the d8b. Is this possible and what’s the best way to go about it? Any other suggestions on setup and use would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before, I did do a search and tried to see if my question has been asked before.

Thanks in advance

Steve
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 pm

spmonkay wrote:This is a copy of my original message....
Steve

Ok. How many apogee ADAT cards do You have onboard? I have - 3 on my desk. If You use vst host, like Cubase or e.t.c., You can out Your multichannel project to desk via ADAT, and return submix to host from SPDIF, or AES. You can out 24 channels per one submix (if You have a 3 ADAT cards). Also, You will ned asio card with 3 separately ADAT outs, and 1 SPDIF/AES input. I use Pro Tools Mix TDM with MOTU 2408 card, and I have many AES ins, but in Your case, You need something as RME DIGIFACE. Also, You need Apogee Big Ben Word Clock External Generator, for synchronization desk and PC. It is - important moment, if You want get better sound. If You working with VST host - You dont need any other equipment. D8B - make very good sound with the "plans", with VST host. I dont use it as control surface. ;) If You want good sound - leave the virtual "mixer sliders" in Your DAW at "U" position and control volume with sliders on Your D8B desk. If You need automates - just create additional midi tracks and setup midi controls individually for each channel.
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:08 pm

On my d8b I have 3 adat cards and an apogee word clock card. My focusrite Saffire only has 1 adat pair. I was looking at the rme digiface but I didn’t think it would be any use as it didn’t have a word clock?
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:21 pm

spmonkay wrote:On my d8b I have 3 adat cards and an apogee word clock card. My focusrite Saffire only has 1 adat pair. I was looking at the rme digiface but I didn’t think it would be any use as it didn’t have a word clock?

You can try RME hdsp 9652, or RME Hammerfall Digiface

angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:46 pm

Do you need the pci card? I’m currently using a Mac so can only do usb, lightening or FireWire.
spmonkay

Next

Return to d8b Forum