Change font size   Print view

D8B - 20 years after. Good sound, or not?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B - 20 years after. Good sound, or not?

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:52 pm

I m greetings You!

Rate the sound! I hear different opinions about D8B. Some persons told that this is a bad console, others are just silent. Therefore, please give an assessment of the sound of the composition. Express your opinion!

This is the D8B processing ONLY!

Angelo Taylor - Energize Me!

Thank You!
angelotaylor

Re: D8B - 20 years after. Good sound, or not?

Postby Crash » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Sounds pretty good to me.

I find that the sound of anything is more about the person doing the work than the tools in most cases. I am a firm believer that I will be the weakest link in any given studio setup. At the end of the day, the average listener doesn't care what gear you used as long as the tunes are good and sound good. That's my opinion.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angelotaylor » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:40 pm

Thank You!
angelotaylor

Postby captainamerica » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:28 am

I 100% agree with Crash...tech always takes a backseat to the creative process, if the creative process is good !
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sweck » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:51 pm

the compressor in the d8b are hard to beat, esp the sidechain
sweck

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:30 pm

sweck wrote:the compressor in the d8b are hard to beat, esp the sidechain

oh, Yes!
angelotaylor

Postby funk » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Crash wrote:Sounds pretty good to me.

I find that the sound of anything is more about the person doing the work than the tools in most cases. I am a firm believer that I will be the weakest link in any given studio setup. At the end of the day, the average listener doesn't care what gear you used as long as the tunes are good and sound good. That's my opinion.

In a nut shell right there,
Anything you do is down to the amount of time you give it, PERIOD,
I think there is far too much of the "which is better" argument, and i find it mainly with people starting out, people who have been at recording for years do not have that argument, because they have usually settled on whatever software or hardware they are using and learned to live with it.
If you start chasing the " which is better" argument all it will do is turn you as a musician into a tec head that will spend far too much time learning and fixing than creating.
Im with crash, so ignor all the nay sayers and just get down to learning how to use what you have and create.

There is a guy i know not far from me who also has a home studio his is protools, now, he has this new pre plugin and that new processor he can talk to you about Db levels and input/output voltages till your eyes bleed, he is the most boring ^%$£ you have ever met, so i asked him thats great, show me something you have recorded ? his reply ?? " ow, errr, i only dabble" ! you only dabble ? FGS just FO..... So if you want to shut the nay sayers up, just ask them to play you something THEY created and watch them crawl back under their rock, let your argument be what you can show you have created, no words needed
Iv said it before and here it is again, i dont think anyone has use the D8B to its full ability, it does so much and im still learning, its a fantastic tactile tool that lets me get on being a musician and creating than anything else i have ever had, and what make it better for me is i love using it now cus im really getting to know it.
So... which is better ? is equal to only 3 things time, effort, ability, the product will tell you which is better.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Postby Old School » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 am

Hi All,
You guys are so right! I know engineers who labor to get every channel to peg some magic db level. To their credit, their stuff never sounds bad, It just never sounds great. I remember back when I was doing live sound I had this one analog console where the channel Leds would red light almost 5 db before clipping. Some expert saw my board lit up like a Christmas tree and told me to turn everything down because It was distorting. I asked him if he heard any distortion, "well no he admitted", then there ain't none I told him. You have to mix with your ears. At the end of the day, they are all that matter.

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Been recording now since the 70’S, in those days, a Teac 4 track, bouncing tracks to free up more was normal, we knew nothing else, doing as much as possible to cut out tape noise, basic eq and compressors, but we got some great stuff down, no 1000 tracks to work with, it was all about, getting a good sound with what we had, as previously mentioned, there's young guys around today that have all the talk about all the new gadgets, talk your head off, when I listen to what they've produced it leaves much to be desired, most of the time a load if crap!
I've had D8b's since they came out, old tech now compared to the new stuff but they can do all you want....and More! These days they're not that reliable for pro studio use as things can go pear shape and can be embarrassing but to be honest, if I didn't have mine then I wouldn't know the alternative!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:29 am

I think Les Paul said it best: "You can't go to the store and buy a good ear and rhythm"....IMHO it has always been about the music first, before tech.
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum