Change font size   Print view

Built a custom D8B external power supply

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Built a custom D8B external power supply

Postby arjepsen » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:12 pm

I would try to "tap" into the audio at various points.
Can you get audio out of the inserts? Send to tape? etc?
Just in order to try to pinpoint what exactly isn't doing its job.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:25 pm

OMG - I FEEL SO STUPID. I have been chasing down this problem now for several weeks. Only to find out in the end that there was nothing wrong with the test console at all and I never damaged anything. Thanks to Ralph again, we traced the problem down to the fact that Ii forgot to install a clock card in the test console...... !! Word to self---- NO Clock card= No Audio, (dummy). As soon as I installed one, everything works beautifully. I guess the old saying is true,,,,, You live and you learn.

Hooked inputs to to channels and listened to the audio. Pristine and no noise.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:09 pm

RJH_MUSIC wrote:OMG - I FEEL SO STUPID. I have been chasing down this problem now for several weeks. Only to find out in the end that there was nothing wrong with the test console at all and I never damaged anything. Thanks to Ralph again, we traced the problem down to the fact that Ii forgot to install a clock card in the test console...... !! Word to self---- NO Clock card= No Audio, (dummy). As soon as I installed one, everything works beautifully. I guess the old saying is true,,,,, You live and you learn.

Hooked inputs to to channels and listened to the audio. Pristine and no noise.

Wow... that's f'n awesome... and NO, you're not 'stupid' by any stretch of the imagination. Let's face it, any success is usually found bathed in blood, sweat and tears... however, you continued to pursue the end goal... and rather myopically much to your credit (LOL). You're working in a silo, a vacuum of sorts... so its always helpful to have another set of eyeballs on things when it gets 'interesting', and Ralph is very good at what he does. Apologies, but this is the 'lab rat' in me talking, I've done enuff prototyping over the decades with enuff tech to recognize a really solid effort that should be acknowledged. Kudos, man... :geek:

Another hurdle... in the rear view mirror... ;)

Keep this in mind, RJ... respect, man!
"Genius is 1% Inspiration, and 99% perspiration..." - [Thomas A. Edison]
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:55 pm

RJH_MUSIC wrote:Hooked inputs to to channels and listened to the audio. Pristine and no noise.

Awsome :-)

Did you have a chance to compare noise levels to before?
One interesting test: If you max all gains and faders, and slowly turn on audio on headphones, do you hear a whine in the background?
If so, this might be switching noise from the 12V supply (back to the thing about it having to be loaded at 20% in order not to do that...) My current messing-about is aimed at getting rid of that.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:25 pm

doctor 1360 - Thanks so much for the kind words. You are absolutely correct about the Blood sweat and tears! especially when it comes to the d8b. Thanks Again!

arjepsen - Yes, I compared the levels to another console in my studio that has been in use for a long time. Minded that the one in use has 48 inputs connected to it. At max fader value and half gain the board was pretty silent. Notable decrease in noise. But yes, indicative of the d8b, when you max everything, faders, gains and master on all channels, you do get a whine in the background. I also thought the frequency seemed to match the cooling fan noise in pitch so Ii attributed it to that. I am going to replace the console in use with the new on I just built up which has a 46 foot cable on it so will now locate the CPU 40 feet away from the console. I will see if that changes. From what you describe, it does make sense for me to change out the 12v supply in my Phase 2 build. I will let you know what happens this weekend.

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:38 am

RJH...I have been down that path many times, in fact, today I was dealing with some EMF issues when realized I was on the wrong A/C circuit that I had org designed for.. but forgot to plugin :(
Sometimes you need to walk away and hit the "refresh cycle"
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:07 pm

Captainamerica- so true. When I built my home studio, I brought in separate circuits for all mixers and audio equipment to isolate from light switches and computer power. Especially dimmer circuits. Cool lighting in a studio looks great but wreaks havoc on audio channels. I am just really thankful I did not damage anything.
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:26 am

Well here is an update. I integrated the power supply into my studio today and continue to be impressed on the speed that it boots up and even more impressed on how quiet the system is and most of all how free of noise the analog circuits are. Yhe only thing I did not count on is the mouse and keyboard are both inoperative using 35 foot cable extensions. So purchased better usb cables today with a repeater in it in the hopes to get back the keyboard. Also ordered a ps2 extender with a repeater in it to get the mouse working again.

I know a few folks have also extended their BFC's so wondering what you did to bridge the gap for keyboard and mouse length. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Og
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:50 pm

Well done RJH! BTW: I did respond to your keyb/mouse question on the other post you had inquired about:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2526&start=10
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:00 pm

Captain America - Great video thanks. Interesting. That is what i get for buying the USB cable from amazon. Would not be the first time i had that problem. Interesting. I did the same thing with an extension cable for the PS2 mouse, but it would not work. It might be the cable I got from amazon. Only difference for keyboard is I am using the USB port on the motherboard instead of the keyboard socket. I think you stated the magic word though. The cable needs to be an Active cable. I will let you know how it turns out.

RJ
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum