Change font size   Print view

Metallica using D8B in "Some kind of Monster" docu

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Metallica using D8B in "Some kind of Monster" docu

Postby Y-my-R » Fri May 10, 2019 3:39 am

...and now for something completely different. Did anyone notice that Bob Rock and Metallica used a D8B in the "Some Kind of Monster" documentary?

I mean, I guess it was just used for pre-production, and besides, I think the album this is about was "St. Anger" which had the worst drum sound known to man. But I'm sure that was a recording/mixing decision, and not the D8B's fault, hahaha...

But still... later they have shots of a nicer studio with an SSL or something. But even those guys were using the D8B at that time! :)

I don't recommend the documentary, though. It's terrible... like, sitting through marriage counseling with a corporate shrink or something. I couldn't finish it, and only kept watching in the hopes to get another glimpse of them using the d8b.

Anyway... I took some screenshots, and will try to attach them here (never tried that). I hope this will work. Looks like they're using an old (back then current) version of Pro Tools on that secondary rig on the left in the first screenshot, though, and not an HDR, etc.

Anyway, enjoy! :)
Attachments
Metallica_d8b_1.jpg
invisible glasses removal...
Metallica_d8b_1.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1973 times
Metallica_d8b_2.jpg
gain staging expert with fader at +10dB
Metallica_d8b_2.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1973 times
Metallica_d8b_3.jpg
SM57 for the win
Metallica_d8b_3.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1973 times
Y-my-R