Change font size   Print view

Mackie D8B Vs Focusrite Scarlett

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Mackie D8B Vs Focusrite Scarlett

Postby lyn69 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:31 am

Hi All

Just out of curiosity, I borrowed a Focusrite Scarlett Soundcard and linked it up to my MAC in the studio. I wanted to hear how the D8B holds up against today's latest gadget, so I plugged in my Rode mic (with a neunmann capsule fitted) and played a little bit of acoustic guitar, then I recorded a short vocal piece. I did exactly the same thing with the D8B, taking care not use any outboard gear, or EQ on both recordings, and my conclusion. The D8B has a little more bass presence in it's sound and more than holds it's own with today's technology. Although I was very impressed with the Focusrite having a very clean sound, the D8B was right up there in terms of sonic quality and signal to noise! The D8B is connect to my Mac via MOTU 2408 mk2. What does everybody else think about how the D8B holds up today against the latest studio gadgets, especially when you consider this digital desk is now 20 years old!
lyn69

Re: Mackie D8B Vs Focusrite Scarlett

Postby Old School » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 am

Hi,
It is amazing, for all it's little flaws, there is still nothing out there in its price range that comes close to what the D8B can do in terms of routing flexibility and ease of use. Nice to hear that the audio is still competitive too. If Mackie had just stuck with it's development how great could it have been?

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lyn69 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:50 am

I totally agree Old School. A very underrated desk that had a few bugs in the early days that tarnished the desks reputation. I won't use anything else now and only mix in the box if I need to save time on projects in the studio and the desk still looks great!
lyn69

Postby garrett21allen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:16 pm

Hey Old School

Mike what kind of set up do you have now. was looking at the post from way back and seen the one in 2015 where you said you were moving on. I must have missed that post somehow that explains why I haven't seen you on here as much. thanks, Joe Allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 pm

For Practical use no doubt its the mutz nutz, and yes if only mackie had kept the R&D up it could be on the front of every ones home daw, and loads of studios come to that.
A great under rated desk no doubt.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Return to d8b Forum