Change font size   Print view

USB Keyboard Support Solved!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: USB Keyboard Support Solved!

Postby JoeJoe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Just be careful connecting the usb socket to the motherboard. My motherboard (apm9800) had a non-standard usb pinout

I measured it first but thought I measured something wrong, and when I connected my standard dual usb adapter "breakout" board the motherboard fried a small capacitor. (the standard connected usb cable short circuited one of my 5V rail to ground.) It was pyrotechnics! Luckily I had my finger on the onoff switch and the board still lives but the usb circuitry is fried. Just be careful! I ended up finding a mouse that worked with a DIN USB converter dongle.

Joe
JoeJoe

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:52 pm

That's a shame... but just so you know you didn't miss out on too much:

The mouse would NOT have worked via USB anyway, only the keyboard. So, you would have had to find a mouse that works on the PS/2 connector anyway, even if you could have gotten a USB keyboard to work. If you were fine with using an old Din-5 keyboard anyway, then you didn't really lose anything ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Actually, as mentioned on page 2:
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=2&t=1994&start=10#p14949

If you buy that kvm switch, that will let you use usb mouse/keyboard - even wireless.
I’m using it with my wireless logitech mouse - works great.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby vincenzo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:18 pm

arjepsen wrote:Actually, as mentioned on page 2:
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=2&t=1994&start=10#p14949

If you buy that kvm switch, that will let you use usb mouse/keyboard - even wireless.
I’m using it with my wireless logitech mouse - works great.

My setup
Aten CS82U
Logitech K375 wireless keyboard connected 1st logitech unifying receiver to the Aten's USB keyboard port
Logitech M570 wireless trackball connected 2nd logitech unifying receiver to the Aten's USB mouse port

D8B PS2 Keybroad and mouse both connected to the Aten's PS2 port1
my PC Dell T5500 Keybroad and mouse both connected to the Aten's PS2 port2

this is work great.
however, if PC Keyboard and Mouse connected with the USB on Aten. D8B will not work
I tried add the USB port from the motherboard to connect the Aten, only the keyboard.
Even if using one Logitech Unifying receiver, instead of independently.

It might be my M570 is not support the Combine Unifying receiver mode.

Cheers
vincenzo

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:41 pm

OK, just so I get this straight... the referenced forum thread explains, that you can use a USB Mouse and Keyboard via a KVM switch, but you would still use the PS/2 and and Din-5 connectors on the D8B mainboard for this?

To me, this is quite different from trying to get a USB mouse to work directly on a D8B, via a standard USB breakout-adapter that connects internally to the mainboard. After reading that other post, I am still under the impression that you CANNOT connect a USB mouse directly to a D8B by adding such a USB breakout-adapter. Only a USB keyboard would work directly connected to the D8B, when connecting this way.

But sure... if the goal is to use a USB mouse and keyboard "somehow", then the KVM approach absolutely is a great solution! And with wireless, it's of course MUCH nicer!

Still, I think JoeJoe didn't miss out on any functionality by frying the internal USB port, since he can still do the KVM approach. And adding a USB breakout-adapter to the mainboard, still wouldn't have allowed to use a USB mouse on the D8B directly. Sounded more like, that's what he might have been trying to do there.

To be clear: I'm not arguing that the KVM approach is not a solution. It's a GREAT solution, actually. My point is just, that adding a USB breakout-adapter to the D8B mainboard will give you USB keyboard support only - but not USB mouse support.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum