Change font size   Print view

USB Keyboard Support Solved!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: USB Keyboard Support Solved!

Postby M-A » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks a lot for the tip, RJH_MUSIC !!
For those about to rock (we salute you).
M-A

Postby FrankH » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm

So I recently bought an internal 2 port USB adapter that mounts to the back plain and plugs into the motherboard at the rear of the case.
I was wondering if you might share the exact model name, source and price of the adapter you used?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby M-A » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 am

No special Brand, FrankH... it's only a standard connector from the Motherboard to the PC chassis (see the PIC #1).
This is very cheap (6 or 8 dollars at your computer store).
M-A

Postby FrankH » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:24 pm

No special Brand, FrankH... it's only a standard connector from the Motherboard to the PC chassis

Thanks. That's what I thought when I started an internet search for a unit. I typed in "2 port USB Adapter" and got a nothing but hits for devices that were all the wrong form factor. Sure, they'd all work, but none of them would mount neatly in an empty slot like the unit shown in this thread. And most were quite expensive.

This morning I tried: "slot mounted 2 port usb adapter" and got a lot of hits for the right thing....one of which was selling for $3.95 on Amazon. So I guess it boiled down to defining the search criteria properly. Here's the cheap one: Click Me
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby M-A » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:25 pm

BINGO !
That will work and it's very cheap.

I've an USB modern keyboard connected to D8B computer using two simples (but functional) USB to PS2 adapter》 PS2 to DIN-5 pins adapter.

My mouse is an optical wired USB FROM HP and it's working with another USB to PS2 adapter.

Just one euro each one !!
No issues in many years.
M-A

Postby bogdank » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:08 am

This is cool. I ordered one expansion bracket so I can try...

However, there is a way to use wireless keyboard and mouse too... :)

It does not eliminate cable(s) from the D8B CPU, but eliminates a need to use wired keyboard/mouse. Here is my current setup:

1x ATEN CS82U - 2-Port PS/2-USB VGA KVM Switch
1x Logitech Wireless Combo MK520 (1x Logitech K520 wireless keyboard, 1x Logitech M510 (or similar) wireless mouse, with unifying receiver)

I needed this so I could switch between the D8B CPU and my Windows PC where I have all the music software.

Connections:

1) On the back of KVM switch I connected PC to CPU-1 and D8B CPU to CPU-2. (cables provided with the KVM switch)
2) I plugged the Logitech unifying receiver on the back of the KVM switch into mouse USB port.
3) I connected the other side of the CPU-2 cable to D8B CPU (using PS/2 connectors along with a 5-pin DIN adapter for the mouse)
4) I connected the other side of the CPU-1 cable to my PC (PS/2 used as well)
5) Since I have two large monitors I did not use the VGA cables from the KVM switch. I connected monitors directly to D8B and PC. (VGA for D8B, Digital for PC)

This way the switch would only switch the keyboard and mouse while monitors are up all the time. (no need for switching).

Another interesting detail is that the KVM cables have a single USB plug on the side where you connect to the PC or D8B. I'm not sure if that would make it possible to connect to D8B CPU using USB and the solution in this thread. Therefore getting both keyboard and mouse to start working. (I doubt it!)

But, once you get to a point where you can use a wireless keyboard and mouse it becomes (at least to me) less important where the cables from the D8B CPU to the KVM switch are and if they are PS/2 or 5-pin DIN or USB for that matter. They are out of sight and I do not have to pull them to get the keyboard or mouse where I need them. I can simply forget about them and use the wireless keyboard/mouse.

BTW, I never thought this would work (due to the age of D8B CPU technology), but I was crazy enough to try and it worked!

Regards,
Bogdan
bogdank

Postby M-A » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Very well done !!
You don't need to have 2 keyboards and 2 mices.

I'm not sure if that will work in my Pro Tools HD 5 system, because AVID is a little bit tricky and does not like any "hardware changes" (or drivers update) when running...

Please tell us: WHAT D.A.W. DO YOU USE?
M-A

Postby bogdank » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:09 pm

M-A wrote:...
Please tell us: WHAT D.A.W. DO YOU USE?

Cakewalk SONAR Platinum. (as you may have heard they've been acquired by BandLab a couple of weeks ago... the SONAR would be replaced with something new but still for a desktop. I hope they keep most of the features...)

I don't remember which drivers were installed for ATEN switch. It might be that I did not need any since I connected to the PC using PS/2 plugs. In the control panel of my Windows 7 Pro system the keyboard and mouse show as regular PS/2 devices, so I doubt it had to install any additional drivers. However, the actual keyboard and mouse are wirelss and KVM switch serves like a sort of a bridge.
bogdank

Postby M-A » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Thank you for your fast reply!
M-A

Postby lnegro » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Hey RJ

Great work! One step further into the 21st century. ......hmmmmm.....have you tried plugging a flash drive with the image on it to see if it would boot? That would be something. I, like Anders have been trying a USB stick with various old PCs but nothing yet. Though I have not tried it with a USB port connected directly to the motherboard.

Larry
lnegro

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum