Change font size   Print view

Mackie MFX card built in effects not available?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Mackie MFX card built in effects not available?

Postby JoeJoe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi!

I just inherited a d8b. I love how 90's retro it feels. Makes my heart all tingly and happy. My d8b has only one MFX card and OS3. I'm planning on upgrading to 5.1 as soon as I can find my old PCMCIA floppy drive, and use Munk's activation hack. ( I found 128MB of old PC133 RAM and installed that instead of the 16mb 72pin EDO, so I should be set for the 5.1 even though my cpu is the 166mhz)

However. My question is, isn't there supposed to be some basic effects on the MFX card? like reverb and delay and such. I get no plugins at all listed in the interface. I have Fat Channel, but I haven't managed to find any other plugins to assign to AUX
buses. Do I need UFX cards? I thought I could at least get some basic effects with one mfx card.

On bootup the board display tells me it found the mfx card.

Am I missing something here? Isn't the Mackie FX supposed to show up in the plugins window? Can plugins be installed via ftp instead of floppy or is the floppy Service pack 3 my best bet?

I'll try to make some 5.1 floppys and then do the Munk-dance but until then I'd like to try out some FX and this has me a bit confused.

Hope someone can explain, I have been reading the forums and manual quite a lot but i cannot get the hang of how it is supposed to work.

Best regards
Joe
JoeJoe

Re: Mackie MFX card built in effects not available?

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:36 am

Hey Joe;
Welcome to this great forum.

There are various effects built into the MFX card. There is a TAB called "Plug-in's". Make sure you see your MFX card there.

If you have the manual for version 3.0 look through chapter 6. There is detail in there. I use 5.1 so my memory is lacking on exactly how 3.0 does this.

BUT They need to be authorised in order to work for more than 10 minuets. So doing the Munk Dance first may be your best option.

Once you do the Munk Dance and if you don't find the codes drop me a PM (Private Message) and I will send them to you.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 am

Maybe the plugins havent been installed?
You can try to download the installation disks and install them.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JoeJoe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, and thanx for the warm welcome. Currently moving in to my new house/studio so I'm a bit busy. ;) There are no plug-ins showing at all, although on boot it says I have an mfx card in slot 1. I think I'll start with installing the service pack and see what happens. (managed to find my pcmcia floppy drive in one of the moving boxes). After that ill just see if i can get 5.1 installed. I'll keep you posted as there is some probability I might need some help or at least encouragement ;). Again thanx for the replys.
JoeJoe

Postby JoeJoe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:25 am

Good news! After an install of 5.1, control file copy over ftp the effects were still missing. However, the service pack fixed it! Now at least I have mfx 3 and voice thingamagigs. Yay!
JoeJoe

Postby arjepsen » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:55 am

Good that you got it fixed!
Enjoy :-)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JoeJoe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Thank you :) oh the joy of trying to find floppies from the 90's without unreadable sectors... That was "fun" ;p ended up finding 2 that worked though but there was a lot of back and from and writing and overwriting. I respect and enjoy USB sticks more after this ;)
JoeJoe

Postby Byrner » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Great to hear you got it to work. Who knew installing 5.1 would fix it.
Byrner

Postby arjepsen » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:31 pm

I think it was installing the plugins that did it - not installing 5.1
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum