Change font size   Print view

Plug-ins

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Plug-ins

Postby JamesH » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Hey Guys,
It's been a couple of years since I have posted. Hopefully some of you will remember me, Jamesh. I gave up professional recording due to ALS, but I still tinker a little bit here and there. Can anybody tell me if Mackie still sells plug-Ins for the d8b? Thanks!
James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Plug-ins

Postby salvaes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Macpro 12cores ,logic Pro ,RME Octamic2 X4 ,forusrite ISA , apogee DA16X ,
Antelope orion studio - apogee psx100 - TLA CLASSIC VALVE SERIES - SPL GOLDMIKE - Focal twin 6be, Adam A7x ,Mackie d8b
salvaes
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JamesH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 am

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, I am mentally challenged when it comes to all the tech stuff. Honestly, i'm not really sure what I just read. Sorry for asking again, but is it possible to get the plug-Ins?
James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:27 am

You can get all the plug-ins if you download Service Pack 3 from here but whether Mackie are prepared to accept your Shekels for authorisation, I'm not sure.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 am

Hi James;

This is a 3 part answer.

Part 1
What you need is 4 cards that plug into the 4 slots on the back of your d8b. The console (desk part), not the CPU (power supply part).

The 4 cards are actually 2 card types. One is a MFX card (which to get the most out of the d8b you need 2 of these). The second type is a UFX card (which to get the most out of the d8b you need 2 of these).

When plugging them in, it is best to "Hop Scotch" the cards. For example, in slot 1 plug in the first MFX. In slot 2 plug in the first UFX. In slot 3 plug in the second MFX, and in slot 4 plug in the second UFX. It seems that things work better that way.

If you don't have or cannot get 2 of each time, you can still use what you have. It just means you can't utilise the full benefits of the plug-ins. These cards are available on e-bay, or from members of this forum in the "For Sale" section of this Forum.

Part 2
In order to make the card work "all the time" (not just in the 10 minuet DEMO Mode), you need to have authorisation codes to authorise the Plug-In's to work all the time. It is like a "key" that unlocks a door so that it is open. There is different codes depending on which Plug-in you want to un-lock.

In the past you could purchase the codes from Mackie, but sadly this is no longer the case. The codes are no longer available for sale. Mackie no longer sales them. Even if you find someone with codes, they will not work on you d8b as the code is tied to the serial number of your console, and each console has a different serial number.

But there is hope. That is what Salves sent you.

Part 3
A very smart dude name Ralph, figured out have to work around the code issue.

This is where you will need someone who understands computers. If you have someone then have them follow the directions in the link that Salves sent you (they will have to search through it to find the exact instruction), and you can Un-Lock most of the Plug-ins that the console has. All the really important ones anyway.

I hope this helps to explain things in an easier to understand process. If you can do the "Crack" (as it is called), yourself, then great! If not, any good computer person can help you.

The next part that is also great is you can use the last Operating System software, version 5.1. You will need to install that as well along with Service Pack 3. Also called SP3. Thes can be own loaded from the Maintenance section of this forum for free. Again if you can do this, great! If not a computer person should be able to help out.

It sounds like a lot, but it is worth it.

Even though you can't do this on a professional level anymore it is still good to be involved and active.

Good luck with this and I hope it helped. Post back with questions or if you need further help. There are lots of people who will jump in and lend a hand.

Regards
Bruce
PS. Love your Avatar!
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JamesH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 am

Thanks Peter and Buce a million! Much appreciated! I have the cards, four ufx. I have a couple of plugins now, but I want the Final Mix plugin. I know where to find the ESN. I have an idea about about the crack, but I don't have the tech skills to do what the thread states. I'm going to find someone to help. It might be a while, but I definitely will let you know the outcome.

Bruce, thanks for the lengthy reply. And thanks for the avatar comment. I am a retired luthier and that's a Tele that I made. It's the Brent Mason model. It has split coil pups with a EMG preamp. I also installed the Paraons/Green B bender.

Thanks,
James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:50 am

Hey James;

Glad to help.

Having the serial number will not help you. You also need the code from Mackie that matches Final mix authorisation code, to un-lock using your serial number. It is like a safety deposit box and 2 keys are required. I'm sure you know this but just stating the obvious.

Once you install the "crack" the Serial Number of your console changes and you will be provided the un-lock codes for all the plug-ins. Every person who has done this has the same serial number for the console and the same authorosation codes to un-lock the plug-ins.

I have a 1971 Fender Thinline Tele. Green. Very rare I am told. I bought it brand new in 71. I, stupidly, put in a different pickup and can't find the original. Oh well. I was young and thought that was what I wanted.
I am a wood worker as well and want to build some guitars to "play around" with different woods and electronics to see what happens. When done they will more than likely be just wall-art.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JamesH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Bruce:

Sorry to hear about the Thinline. You're not alone. I have a friend who had a 50's "No Caster" that he mutilated back in the 70's. Good luck on your guitar projects, Hopefully they will be more than wall art.

Without you going into detail, do you generate the crack on a pc and then plug those numbers into the slot on the board? Is that the general idea? I've used crack before on other programs on a pc.

James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JamesH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Bruce:

After thinking about my question, that's probably not the case. If it were, then you could just give me the numbers and I could punch them in. I'll just find someone.

Thanks,
James
JamesH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:44 am

Hi James;

You are correct about anyone giving you numbers.

The crack is a file that replaces the original one within the configuration file on the hard drive of the d8b. It basically tells the OS what the serial number of the desk is. Which is the same one for everyone else that uses the "crack". In that way the authorisation codes for the plug-n work. One of the guys, gave uo his serial number and authorisation codes, which he purchased, so all of us could benefit from it.

There are some dudes in this forum that can "Mirror" a hard drive. This would have the "crack", OS 5.1 and Service Pack installed, and all the plug-in un-locked. All that needs to be done is to swap hard drives and away you go.

I am not one of those guys.

I did my the old fashion way which was to remove the hard drive from my d8b, install it in a PC and copy the "crack", from a floppy disk, to the correct location on the d8b's Hard drive. (My hard drive had 5.1 installed on it before removing). Then I reinstalled in it my d8b typed in all the authorisation codes in the Licencing window in the setup tab, and away it went.

Working like a dream come true.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum