Change font size   Print view

Alt I/O

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Alt I/O

Postby IronBone » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:51 am

What is the preferred card used in the alt i/o slot? And where do the Ins come back to the board?

I would like to add some compression to a bus mixdown before returning back to the daw....but, since apparently you can't use the onboard compression on the bus tracks, I want to use outboard gear but don't know how or where to return the tracks to.
IronBone

Re: Alt I/O

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 am

Hi IronBone;

i use an Analog I/O card on my Alt I/O.

The output (to an external device), are set in the "Setup" tab of the d8b screen, under the 'Network" tab and is called "Alt I/O. The returns are on the "Master" bank level (fader bank 3).

Hope that helps.

Also... If you have OS ver 5.1 and the Acuma Final Mix Plug unlocked, it can be inserted onto the L&R Outputs.

If you don't have ver 5.1 or the plugins unlocked, check out the "Cracked" string in this forum. You can unlock 5.1 and most of the plug-ins for FREE. Check it out. It is worth it.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I currently have an AES card in that slot... but I think I have an extra analog card somewhere...just gonna need to get a couple more breakout cables i guess....
And No, I have not done the 5.1 upgrade.... I would like to, but I'm fairly nervous since the board has been working pretty smooth at the moment..lol.
Is the plug-in available only on the L/R bus or all bus outs?
IronBone

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Glad to share what I know.

The analog card will work for your intended purpose. The AES card will not, unless your outboard gear has AES I/O.

The Acuma Final Mix is assignable just about everywhere as I recall. (I use it mostly on L&R. I would have to turns things on and look at the list but am not able to do that for a few weeks.

There are other compressors and plug-ins that are included when you do the Cracked version. Check out the Cracked string. There is a list in there of what you will have as plug-ins.

I understand your hesitation in not wanting to change OS. If you can make an "Image" of your current Hard Drive, you can always return to where you started if it doesn't work out. But it should it isn't that difficult.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks! I am going to look in to performing the crack... I would love to be able to use onboard compression for bus tracks.
IronBone

Postby Crash » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:56 pm

I used to use the insert on the master L/R buss with Final Mix into the Massenberg EQ. I have since gone to an A-Designs Nail into an A-Designs EM-EQ2. It took some getting used to but I mix "through" them and by that I mean that I leave the console AES and hit an Apogee AD8000 to convert to analog in to the Nail into the EQ back to Apogee to convert back to digital and back to the digital in 1. This allows me to switch between pre buss processing and post in terms of monitoring just by selecting the Master L/R (pre) or Digital in 1 (post). This method may or may not work for your setup but it works great for my rig.

The Final Mix/Massenberg combo is really powerful but thought I would throw yet another method out there just to muddy the waters.
Last edited by Crash on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby IronBone » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Lol, All good information!
IronBone

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 pm

Nice Rig Crash!
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Bruce Graham wrote:Nice Rig Crash!

Thanks man. You would think I could just settle for what I have but nooooo, I had to ad an L2 to the equation.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:19 am

Boys and their toys!
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum