Change font size   Print view

Combining Sources to 1 tape out.

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Combining Sources to 1 tape out.

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu May 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Hi all;

This was started in the HDR forum but I moved it to the d8b forum as it is really a d8b question.

A question came up about combining tracks. Here is what I have found to be how my d8b works.

When the "Mic/Line" bank is selected, I can only assign 1 channel to a track. For example, Mic channel 1 and 2 cannot both be assigned to track 3.

When the "Tape In" bank is selected, I can only assign 1 tape return to a track. For example, Tape return 1 and 2 cannot both be assigned to track 3.

I can assign as many mic/line channels and tape returns to 1 or all "Bus" outputs for which there are 8. For example Mic channel 1 and 2 can both be assigned to Bus 1.

Is this true for everybody? I looked through the "setup" tab and can't find anything about being able to assign more than 1 input to 1 track. If there is a method could someone let me know.

I asked as I would like to be able to combine more than 1 input to 1 track. I would like to be able to assign let's say, 6 channels of Audience mics I have hanging at a venue onto 2 tracks to make a stereo pair, or 12 mics I have on a choir to 2 tracks for a stereo pair.

I know I can assign them to, in this example, 2 bus's, and bring those bus's into 2 channels and assign them to 2 tracks, but I am tying up inputs for this.

Beside having another console that would mix these mics into a stereo pair and bring that into 2 channels, which is the way I'm doing it, is there another way that I am missing?

We can assign, as mentioned, many channels to 1 of the 8 bus outputs, would in be possible to do that with the Mic/line and Tape In channels to the multi tack out puts (1 - 24)?

Thanks and cheers.
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Combining Sources to 1 tape out.

Postby phantomrage » Fri May 12, 2017 2:21 am

I must be missing something. I can assign any input or multiple inputs to a single tape channel to record, and the opposite is true for playback.

Within the HDR or MDR i haven't seen a way to bounce more then one track to a single track.
phantomrage

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri May 12, 2017 3:42 am

I don't think you are missing anythings.

If I assign, say, mic channel 1 to track 1, then assign mic channel 2 to track 1, mic channel 1's assignment is removed from track 1, and only mic channel 2 is assigned to track 2.

This is also true for the Tape Returns.

This was the way it was with my d8b running OS 3.0, with 5.0 and now with 5.1.

For the life of me can not figure out why I am not allowed to do that! To me it is logical that it should be able do it!

I think something is set wrong, but It has been that way from day 1 no matter if I reload software or not.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I also don't think there is anyway to bounce multiple tracks to a single within the HDR/MDR/SDR. That was a question that was asked in the HDR Forum. It is illogical to do it that way.

It makes sense that one SHOULD be able to do that withe the d8b. Wish I could!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri May 12, 2017 4:35 am

Hi Bruce,
Maybe I am missing something. I can assign as many inputs (1-24) to a buss (buss 1 for instance) and then assign that buss directly to tape out (any of the 24 tape outs) and record multiple sources to a single track. This is done completely in the software realm without physical cables from the buss outs to the HDR. Is this not possible on your D8B?

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri May 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi Mike;

What I have written is what happens. I know it sounds strange, wrong, incorrect, stupid, (pick an adjective) but that is what happens!

I can only assign a single source, be it a Mic/Line or tape return, to a single buss (1-24).

I can assign multiple sources, be it Mic/Line or Tape Return, to the "Group" Buss. Of which there are the 8. Those 8 become the "Surround" output connector (db25) on the back of the desk.

I am a little confused at what you are saying though. You said "I can assign as many inputs (1-24) to a buss (buss 1 for instance) and then assign that buss directly to tape out (any of the 24 tape outs) and record multiple sources to a single track".

What do you mean when you say "and then assign that buss directly to tape out (any of the 24 tape outs)"? My understanding is the 1 to 24 assignments are the tape outputs. When an input is assigned to any of the 1 to 24 assignment buttons, they are the tape outputs. There is no other assigning to do, is there? Am I not understanding things?

After I assign an input to an output (Buss 1-24) that's it. It goes to my HDR. That's how mine works.

When you assign "to the buss", which buss are you talking about? There are at least 2 separate buss's in the d8b (technically more). When I say tape out buss I mean the 1 - 24 Tape Buss, and not the 1 - 8 Group Buss. Are we speaking of the same buss's here?

I use to be a Music and TV Sound Engineer, and I have found this "problem" I am having very baffling. I have always been able to assign many inputs, all in fact if I wish, to as many tape outputs (or sub's, or buss's if you will), as I want to!

I will try to figure out how to make a video of this strange behaviour and post it, so you can see what happens. Then perhaps once it is seen what happens, then maybe we can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for Posting with me on this. This problem is very confusing!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri May 12, 2017 3:15 pm

First pic, Ch 1 assigned to "Route to Tape 1"
d8b #1.JPG
d8b #1.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Second pic, Ch 2 not assigned.
d8b #2.JPG
d8b #2.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Third Pic, Ch 2 assigned to "Route to Tape 1"
d8b #3.JPG
d8b #3.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Fourth Pic, Ch 1 no longer assigned to "Route to Tape 1"
d8b #4.JPG
d8b #4.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Hope this shows what is happening.
Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi Bruce,
Pull up the fat channel on the Buss channel 1. Even though compressors and limiters are not available, the tape out assignment still works, you don't have to use connections on the back of the D8B, the buss will be assigned just like any other channel.

Have a blessed day,
Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 pm

By the way, Bruce, I totally agree with you that it is not logical to be unable to assign 2 sources directly to the same track.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Hey Mike;

It is good to know that I am not CRAZY!!!!

It is CRAZY that you can't assign more than 1 input channel to 1 output channel! Just say'n!

Secondly, after reading your post, and thought about it, I went and tried what you are suggesting and it doesn't work either.

I will have another look and make sure I'm in the right place but it didn't work with the groups.

I'll be back.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri May 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Hey Mike... when you say "Buss" Channel... what do you mean?

The Route To Tape 1-24 assignments are Buss's. The Groups 1-8 assignments are buss's, and heck, even Auxes are buss's!

What do you mean?

Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum