Change font size   Print view

Help Setting Up Compact Flash System

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Help Setting Up Compact Flash System

Postby RonnR » Mon May 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Several years ago, I sent $ to Mackie for 5.1 upgrade, However (like so many others) the authorizied codes they sent never worked. I then reinstalled 3.1 and is working fine. Since then, the recent upgrade (hack) has awakened my interest in reviving my d8b. However I have since lost the 5.1 formated disc, and the floppies from my earlier adventure with Mackie.
I would very much appreciate any help with needed parts and 'how-to' info. If my any chance there is anyone assembling this set-up I would gladly pay for a turn key set up.
Thank You for any help.
RonnR
RonnR

Re: Help Setting Up Compact Flash System

Postby arjepsen » Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 pm

I can't see where you're from, so it's a bit difficult to offer help in person.
Let us know where you are, and someone might offer to help
(I live in Denmark - should you live here, I'd be happy to help)

Anyways, it isn't too compicated, but does require that you know a bit about the insides of a normal pc, or are willing to learn :-)
You need to get a flashcard - just about 1Gb. I think mine is 4Gb. But not too big - I think I remember someone having trouble with a larger card.
Then you need a card reader that can connect to the Hard drive connector on the motherboard. Here's the one I bought:
http://www.delock.com/produkte/S_91624/merkmale.html
And I've seen the exact same looking thing from other companies too.
Then you have to backup anything you don't want to loose from your d8b, open it up, disconnect (and if you want - remove) the old harddrive, and install and connect the new card reader instead.
Now for me these things were easy, and quickly done. The hard part was reinstalling the OS - mainly because I simply couldn't find any bisquits (floppies) that still worked....
Instead I ended up buying a floppy emulator, that uses usb sticks instead - problem solved.
If you get the card and reader, and can get them installed, I might be able to make an image that you can transfer to your cf card, instead of having to install using floppies.

Regards
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RonnR » Thu May 11, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the lack of location, I'm located in Houston, Texas.
Think I've got everything rounded up, except how to get the Community 5.1 onto a CF card.
What would be the advantage of a floppy emulator, how does usb enter into the process.
RonnR
RonnR

Postby arjepsen » Thu May 11, 2017 4:22 pm

The floppy emulator is simply a physical "drive" that replaces the old floppy drive.
On the front is a usb connector, that you plug a usb stick in to.
The advantage is, that it is getting harder to find workable reliable floppy disks. I had to go around searching a lot, and ended up buying some that turned out to be bad when I got home. I think usb sticks are more reliable than floppies.
Also, using the emulator and a usb stick, you can have 100+ floppy disks on one usb stick...
And to top it off, I think the tranfer rate is higher...not sure though.
Overall I'd say it just fixes everything that is wrong with floppies :P
If you want to read about my installation experience, here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1376&start=10

If you have a CF cardreader hooked up to your main computer, another option is that I just make an image of mine, that you can transfer to yours.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RonnR » Sat May 13, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks for image file, having some trouble with AOMEI, but I'll figure it out, Thanks so much for your help,
I'll keep you posted
RonnR

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:41 am

Hey all;

So still having issue with d8b so I thought it was time to dust off the 2 spare desks and see what I could use from them to solve my main desk issue.

All that is future post, I need some assistance with my CF.

I thought, hey while I have this all apart why not install my 2GB CF with the d8b OS on it. I restored the Image files from Anders. All seemed to go OK but my d8b will not boot.

I get "Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0...Not Found..."

I did check the BIOS. It would not find the CF. At all. Tried Auto Detect, no go.

So I installed the mechanical Hard Drive from my current desk (the one not working) and after a bit of poking around the BIOS I got it. Booted as it should.

I then went back to the CF as the Master. It found a Master Drive (the same settings as my Mechanical(, but got the above error.

Now I have been dubbed a "Lud·dite" (a) a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woollen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).
(b) a person opposed to increased industrialisation or new technology. (c) a small-minded Luddite resisting progress), so there is that to consider.

Any help would be great!
Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Hey.

Ok, just to check: you did use the AOMEI program to restore the CF card with my image?
second, in the bios: under Standard CMOS setup, I got primary master set to auto, both under type and mode.
The remaining connections are listed as NONE.
Also, check that the jumpers on the adapter are set right.

Let us know how it goes.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:36 am

Hey Anders;

I did check the jumper, set to Master
I used AOMEI to restore the Image. It all looked the same as your "Help File".
I have no idea what "Standard CMOS setup" is? Is there another setup?. I will check to see what "Type" and "Mode" are set to.
The word "connections" is strange to me in this context. Could you clarify for me! Thanks. I'm not a computer person beyond the basics. (See Lud`dite" above. That's me).
I'm good with detail description, but when it comes to assumptions I usually fall off the rails. Too many years as a Analog Audio Technician.
Thanks
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 am

Oh, dont worry - youre ok. Now helping my dad with computer stuff, thats a challenge....

Anyways, when you get in to the bios (pressing del key at boot), youre presented with a menu listing in two columns. The top left one should be the cmos one I mentioned.
In that menu you have the option to set up hard drive parameters.
For the d8b I set the primary master to auto, and disable the primary slave, and both secondary, by setting them to “none”.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:56 am

Oh by the way, you wrote that you used a 2gb card. Do you have a slightly larger one?
Theres plenty of space on your card, but I made the image with a 4gb card, so the restore process might do something funky. I think theres an option that helps with this in the aomei program, but im at work now, and cant check it out, so the quickest option would be trying a card with a size between 4 and 32 gb.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum