Change font size   Print view

Mic/Line Button

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Mic/Line Button

Postby Dreamsequence » Mon May 08, 2017 12:04 am

Does anyone know for a fact whether the button cap for the Mic/Line switch can be removed through the faceplate without disassembling the entire console? It's not hinged like the momentary contact pushbuttons. I have one unit that needs a DeoxIt bath.

Thanks.
Dreamsequence

Re: Mic/Line Button

Postby Phil.c » Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 am

If it's like the transport buttons and I expect it is, it comes straight out.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon May 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Yes, you can remove those without tearing into the console.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dreamsequence » Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks Crash. Time for DeoxIt.

Also, have one V-pot (Monitor Volume, what else?) that is being a bear. I'm going to pull that knob and try some a canned air duster, but I don't suppose they benefit from DeoxIt. Any suggestions?
Dreamsequence

Postby Crash » Mon May 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Dreamsequence wrote:Thanks Crash. Time for DeoxIt.

Also, have one V-pot (Monitor Volume, what else?) that is being a bear. I'm going to pull that knob and try some a canned air duster, but I don't suppose they benefit from DeoxIt. Any suggestions?

You might look into the database in regards to the volume knob. I think there have been some that have given the volume knob the deoxit treatment which results in the knob feeling different in the way it spins for a time as I recall.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dreamsequence » Tue May 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks Crash. They do pull off through the faceplate if you take your time. I achieved some success with a DeoxIt needle applicator, but these switches are sealed better than the typical stack switch.

I checked the schematic for the v-pot connections, and it does appear to be a mechanical encoder. It consists of a resistive surface with a wiper. There are (2) stacked in each pot so the direction of rotation can be determined. The LED driver IC then knows which way to light the display pointer around the knob. I tried isopropyl alcohol and the air duster, with marginal results. Because it is a regular resistor (at least in the schematic), the DeoxIt might help.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
Dreamsequence

Return to d8b Forum