Change font size   Print view

Can't Access Bios Screen

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Can't Access Bios Screen

Postby soundbytes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 am

I can't access the bios screen at all and since I reset cmos. Comes up as checksum error but will load the first 2 5.1 disks I have. Just seems that bios can't access the hard drive even to install from fresh. Can someone help? For your information I don't have an original at keyboard but am using a ps2 to at convertor. Keyboard flashes at startup and enter button works as comes up insert system disk press enter. I am holding delete key but no joy. I pulled the drive and can read all the files on a Mac connected with ide to usb caddy. I just can't get into the bios to tell the d8b to boot from the hard drive and its driving me mad. Could it be the stupid at to ps2 adaptor? Or is this a corrupt bios chip in which case where can I buy a replacement from, guessing they are hard to come by? Any ideas guys, and thanks in advance for your help
soundbytes

Re: Can't Access Bios Screen

Postby Dreamsequence » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 am

soundbytes:

This is a long shot, but have you tried to pull the CMOS battery out and letting the system settle, then try it again? Also, you mentioned resetting it. Do you have the correct BIOS for your CPU? It seem to me it is different for the 166Mhz motherboard vs the 300 Mhz CPU. If you try to use the wrong settings the unit can get pretty ill.
Dreamsequence

Postby soundbytes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:49 pm

No I haven't updated or touched the bios or bios rom chip. It comes up when switched cmos checksum error so all I have tried is moving the jumper to reset the bios overnight, with no change. Hold delete key on boot up still won't get me in to the bios screen. The system say no system found insert system disk. I managed to get 5.1 disks and this does load all three and then says memory allocation error, probably as it can't access the ide hard drive as this must be disabled in the bios. Ordered a at keyboard to rule out any problems with my at to ps2 adapter. Noticed a bios rom chip on eBay for hdr24 version 2 that give HDR access to larger hard drives. Also found a page online giving same bios settings for hdr24 and d8b anyone know if they use the same motherboard? Mine is version 2. If they have same bios settings this must be compatible with my d8b board? Failing that can anyone who has successfully flashed their d8b bios help me do the same or buy a bios chip that's plug and play?
I really need bios access or I'll never get this board to come alive again, floppy access only is never gonna work So any help really appreciated
soundbytes

Postby Old School » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi,
Just a thought here, but is your new hard drive already formatted? If so, then take it out and using a hard drive utility, remove all partitions from the drive, so that you are feeding the D8B a "raw" drive. It seems like your D8B isn't recognizing this drive in its present state. Just a shot in the dark.

Have a blessed day in Christ,
Mike W.
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby soundbytes » Wed May 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Mike , I am pretty sure the bios is corrupt and I either need to flash it, no idea how to btw lol or track someone who has or can burn me a copy of the bios chip. This is the only way I will be able to access the bios screen to set hard drive etc.
I think I already mentioned my board is the newer second revision board. Would be interested to hear also if anyone successfully changed the bios chip in the d8b for the HDR24 upgraded bios chip as the bios settings for both are the same. (same motherboard?). I can get one of these on eBay but don't want to throw the money in the bin if it def won't work.....
soundbytes

Postby Old School » Wed May 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi,
As you really don't need a bigger drive in the D8B, perhaps someone on the forum has an old bios chip from when they did their HDR upgrade. I'm pretty sure that the old HDR chip is the same as I have used a motherboard from an HDR to repair one of my D8B's. I may have one, but I'll have to search.

Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby soundbytes » Wed May 03, 2017 8:18 pm

If you or anyone on the forum has an old bios chip from when they did their HDR upgrade please get in touch.

It is good to know that the HDR chips are the same as you have already successfully used one :-)
soundbytes

Postby Crash » Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=322

You might contact S&X and see if they can sort you much like Casey from this thread.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri May 05, 2017 1:27 am

OK I found an old bios chip from my HDR, send me your mailing address and I'll mail it to you. Keep in mind, this thing has been sitting on a shelf for years. Hope it fixes your problem.

Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Fri May 05, 2017 1:30 am

Almost forgot, you might want to read this, https://supportloudtech.netx.net/file/a ... attachment , before you attempt to change it.

Mike W.
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum