Change font size   Print view

Need to replace hard drive on d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Need to replace hard drive on d8b

Postby TheWrathofCam » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 pm

I have a d8b system that has an error 43. The hard drive doesn't boot. I tried to follow the instructions here: http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/Charlies_10GoldenRules_HD_Replacement_with_appendices.pdf
to replace it but I haven't had any luck getting the system to recognize the hard drive.

Does anyone have any advise or a way that I could get/buy a new hard drive that is already set up for the d8b?
TheWrathofCam

Re: Need to replace hard drive on d8b

Postby arjepsen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:53 pm

A new drive can be difficult to get, since the capacity has to be quite small.
If you're about to change it anyway, I'd suggest instead going down the Compact Flash card road.
Several of us has replaced the old noisy HD with a card, and it works very well.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby the boss » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi

I've got an original Mackie d8b hd for sale. Just send a message/ Morgan
the boss

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 pm

TheWrathofCam wrote:I have a d8b system that has an error 43. The hard drive doesn't boot. I tried to follow the instructions here: http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/Charlies_10GoldenRules_HD_Replacement_with_appendices.pdf
to replace it but I haven't had any luck getting the system to recognize the hard drive.

Does anyone have any advise or a way that I could get/buy a new hard drive that is already set up for the d8b?

The ONLY reason I would personally put an OEM hard disk back into the CPU is for just that reason - to keep things in it's original release state regarding the hardware. Beyond that, there's zero technical reasons for not upgrading. The OEM drive was 20.6GB generally because they were readily available. The Mackie D8B operating system (V5.1) uses a 3GB+ sized image at runtime. This EASILY fits onto a 4GB compact flash card, using an adapter and a PCI bracket extender so you don't EVER have to open the CPU back up again; most likely only under the most dire of circumstances. Because of the small size, udma is taken out of the picture and you don't have to be concerned with a True IDE mode (cf card related) during boot up just due to the small size of the image. It doesn't corrupt (easily if at all) due to no moving parts. It's also quite inexpensive... it just make NO sense not to upgrade... :ugeek:

However, you knew it was coming so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your Actual Mileage May Vary..."

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum