Change font size   Print view

mackie D8B HELP

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

mackie D8B HELP

Postby anthony.wright19@ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi Im a new user of the Mackie D8B. I just purchased it from a friend. I turn the power unit on and the board said error 43. I have not purchased the probe yet I will this week. I also have to get some more cords for it. I want to know do I need the pro box to use it for pro tools. Can I buy something else other than that? What all do I need to get it up and running. I checked the threads but I needed someone to talk with. My email is anthony.wright19@yahoo.com.
anthony.wright19@

Re: mackie D8B HELP

Postby FrankH » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:46 am

Anthony:

Let's start here.

1. Before you purchased the board, was it working properly before it was packed up and moved to your place?

Assuming the answer is yes, then most likely something has come loose in transport. Cables, ribbon connectors, cards...etc.
But before you go nuts disassembling the unit(s) to check connections,...the Error 43 message may mean this: You have most likely left a floppy disk in the floppy drive and the BIOS can't get to the HD to load the OS. That may be the answer right off.

2. "I have not purchased the probe yet I will this week." I have no idea what this means.

3. About ProBox. Depending on what software version you have, You may or may not need the Probox. If you have V5.1 software, you can use HUI mode to control ProTools...but in 8 channel banks. That's HUI mode. Regardless of software, you should be able to use ProBox to control Protools' faders, pans, mutes and solos. I'm really not sure of what else it can do. You'll have to ask Munkustrap what's possible and take it from there.

4. Please go through the Database if it isn't something as simple as a floppy still in the drive to fix Error 43, to find out what and where things are to check:

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anthony.wright19@ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Hey thx for responding. I haven't checked the floppy disk yet, well I need to purchase one. The only thing I received was the power box with a long snake that connects to the console and a cord for the computer monitor. I seen that I need to but some other cords then from there I will see If the mess goes away. Yes I meant probox. So I will keep you updated this week.
anthony.wright19@

Postby anthony.wright19@ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Hey what is a CMOS battery and how do i go about changing it in order not to get shoked?
anthony.wright19@

Postby anthony.wright19@ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 pm

Where can I purchase this CMOS battery from?
anthony.wright19@

Postby anthony.wright19@ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi what all snakes and cords come with the power unit and console just in case if I have to got out and buy some?
anthony.wright19@

Postby Crash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:34 pm

anthony.wright19@ wrote:Where can I purchase this CMOS battery from?

You can buy the motherboard CMOS battery from just about anywhere that sells a battery from the grocery store to the pharmacy or a hardware store. It is a standard 2032 button battery. I buy them buy them in bulk these days as so many of my pieces pf gear use them. I would suggest you look over the manual for the d8b to make sure you have it all hooked up right and then proceed from there. In short, you need the big ass connector from the CPU/power supply and the data cable running to your console. The database is a wealth of information as well and all of the CMOS/BIOS settings are in there.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/index.html

Don't load default as this will not work with this rig. Find the settings that go with the processor you have be it 166Mhz or 300Mhz and go from there.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi Anthony;

Perhaps a good place for you to start, once you purchase the CMOC battery, is to go through the manuals for the d8b. They can be found in the link that Crash has supplied. You should find in there, answers to most of your questions you have asked, plus the many that will come from reading the manual.

I would start at the beginning of the manual. As you can't get answers from it, post back and we will chime in with, hopefully, the answers you need. The stuff that isn't in the manual or isn't explained very well.

By the way, the link that says version 5 is actually version 5.1. Hopefully this is the version that is on your d8b. If not Version 3 is also on the Maintenance DataBase (Crash's link).

Good luck. Have fun, and welcome.

Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum