Change font size   Print view

d8b clean outputs

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: d8b clean outputs

Postby zetell » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:01 pm

Sorry by bringing this old post back to life, but I'm in the same situation as Carlo here.
I will be re-amping one track from my tape deck and would like to know if the Bus & Surround Out (DB25) is the best solution for this?

My re-amping box is a Palmer DACCAPO which has a balanced XLR line input where I can choose between -10dBV and +4dBu.

Kjetil
zetell

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:01 am

Didn't read the original thread... but just to mention:

I haven't tried using the D8B outs connected to a Re-Amp box, but have been having issues with sending such a signal from my audio interface(s) (I tried two different ones) to my recording room, and dealt with MASSIVE noise being amplified in the process, that sounded like a mix between a ground-loop and, well, severely amplified noise.

I should add though, that this was for high-gain metal tones, with the Pre on a Peavey 6505+ cranked to like 6 or 7... which is A LOT, and pretty noisy, already, when going straight into it with a guitar. When recording into the computer, and back out of an audio interface into the re-amp box and into the amp, it was WAY worse... like, 10-times worse, it sounded like.

The only way I got that under control, was to actually put the amp and audio interface on the same power outlet AND use the ground-lift on the Re-Amp box (a Radial ReAmp... the passive one). In my case, this meant having the amp in the control room, which was really annoying... and as a result, I don't like to do re-amping with "real" amps that much, and use amp-sims more often (even though I have a decent amp collection... but some modern amp sims are actually REALLY good, to a point where I'm not sure if I'd get a clearly "better" tone out of a real amp... just more "custom" I guess).

Where I'm going with this is, that the probability to run into amplified noise and ground loops is pretty high, even without the D8B involved... so, you might as well cross-check, already, if you get such noise from your audio interface, too... then it won't be as much of a surprise (and less finger-pointing), if the D8B would ALSO result in being so noisy, when sending it's outputs (whichever ones work best for that - I wouldn't know) to a re-amp box.

In short: I don't have an answer to your question, but would first make sure that you are generally able to re-amp without noise with your current setup (e.g. if the outputs going to the re-amp box are in a different room from the amp/cab, etc.). Then try to add the D8B into the mix, if you know you CAN pull it off, in general.

As for which output on the D8B is best... the Bus Outs are balanced... so, probably not a bad choice, but I don't know which ones would be best suited for re-amping in particular.

Anyway, best of luck with getting nice noise-free re-amp tones!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby zetell » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:39 pm

Well, first of all, thank you for your reply Y-my-R.

So I got my DB25--->XLR cable this week and Yesterday I was able to check this towards a DI signal I've recorded on an ongoing project from a local band.

The bassist had already put down the bass via my Ridge Farm Gas Cooker which is a tube based DI.
One signal was recorded to tape from the Gas Cooker with added effects from the bassist.
The DI signal was taken out from the Gas Cooker and put to tape without any added effects or eq.

I then sent the DI signal to the Reamp Box via the Surround Out Buses (or whatever that is labelled on the rear of the d8b :? ) and to a bass amp sitting in my tracking room. The amp was recorded with no overdrive added (this was done to easier identify if any noise was added in the process).

The bottom line is that the reamp process did not add any noise to the signal. I A/B the DI signal (return from tape machine) and the reamped signal coming in to the d8b and could, with regards to noise, not tell any difference.
zetell

Previous

Return to d8b Forum