Change font size   Print view

Archive only???

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Archive only???

Postby Mike Rivers » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:28 pm

Doug Reid wrote: I can't see how the HDR and D8B forums were costing them anything, since the mods were AWOL 99 percent of the time. If it were my company, I would keep the forums running as a PR tool.

I agree, if the PR was positive, but .......
I've spent a ton of money over the years on Mackie gear, but I guarantee that I will look elsewhere from now on.

And that's exactly what's wrong with the PR, There are a lot of posts like that, from people who find themselves with abandoned products that still should have plenty of life left in them. This isn't just a Mackie problem, but people come to the Mackie forum to complain (usually to deaf ears). And potential customers see this and look elsewhere for their abuse.

I think I'm going to write an article about what sustaining engineering is and why we should pay enough for our gear to cover its cost.
--
Understanding storage technology is not difficult. It is an ongoing process whereby larger and larger amounts of information can be lost by smaller and smaller mishaps.
Mike Rivers
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:48 pm

anyhorizon wrote:Well, the HDR forum had been drawing attention to itself with a bit of bickering but I don't know about the d8b one. It's head and shoulders above any other forum over there in terms of activity. I sent a PM to the 2 moderators. I mean, it's a bit rude to just shut off the juice without a disconnection notice.

Send them a PM.

Peter

I sent a PM to Sean (pre Ronnal I guess?) back in March and it is still unanswered. They are showing active on other product forums :?: ...it seems silly and not in their best interest and pocketbook to shut er down.

Plus "archive" ??? now that is just cold! :mrgreen:

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jeeper » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Doug Reid wrote:Did you see that thread on top of the HDR forum from the new mod telling us how we should act ? That's really cute, considering we have the most civilized group on the planet, even after taking our bickering into consideration. I think we should stay here and forget that other place. It's much nicer here, plus Petersueco can control the forum if it takes a turn toward the dark side.

Not to call any forum names but he would go bonkers with some of the audio forums.

BTW like your avatar Doug. I have one of those jewels in my storage shed.

I will probably lurk here like I had been doing on the other place lately.
Speaks Redneck but very little American or British English
jeeper

Postby Doug Reid » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi Jeeper !

I never saw a wire recorder in person, but it seems like a really cool collectable.
Doug Reid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:32 am

Doug,

Your not showing your age!!!!!

I recall when I was about 15 going to square dance classes (God only knows why --- there must have been a great looking female attending or something????) and all the music was played using a wire recorder --- I think it was about six months after they stopped manufacturing the Edison Cylinder!!!!!!!!!!!.

I can also recall one night when the reel came off --- wire is not as easy to wind back on to the spool as tape.

However, my best recollection was the dreadful sound ---- but then this might not have been the recorder, just the music that was being played on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where was Billy Ray when he was needed??????

I must try to put up a photo of my 8-track one day --- there is a photo of it on the "UK Vintage Tape Recorder" forum somewhere, as well as my TEAC 1/4" stereo valve recorder (great sounding macjine that has produced many hits) that TEAC deny ever having manufactured, even though it has the TEAC logo all over it. But that's another story.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Doug Reid » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:21 am

Hi David !

I would love to see photos of your recorders....
Doug Reid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Doug,

Not sure how to insert a photo, but if you go to the following link and scroll down --- actually read down as it makes interesting reading, especially on the part of TEAC/Tascam and their products --- you will see a couple of links to my valve 1/4" TEAC recorder.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/show ... light=teac

I don't think that you will have to join the forum to see the photos.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:02 pm

Just getting stranger by the day !!!!

Yesterday it was the Brain Board that decided to go faulty and today the DSP card woud only show the Green Led the entire time.

I tried about three times and during the process (when the desk was powered down) Iremoved the effects cards and was going to systematically pull all of the optivcal cables from the OPT-8 cards --- I gave up before removing them.

I did however have a thought, although I doubt if under normal circumstances it would cause a problem but maybe with the d8b it could be different !!!

From the picture below, you will see that the big power cable has its outer plastic cover removed where it enters the RACK Unit and the shield is therefore touching the matal chassis of the RACK unit.

Big Power Cord.jpg
Big Power Cord.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 66 times

Could this touching on the metal case be causing any form of trouble. I did try some months ago the feed the exposed section of the cable back into the RACK unit and then insulating it, but this was quite difficult to do --- well on this desk anyway !!!!!

Any advicevwill be greatly appreciated and I apologice for the picture quality as I had to use my mobile/cell phone to take the picture and it is an older phone with a poor camera.

I am really starting to feel that the problem is somehow related to the Power Distribution board (eiter at the board or inside the Rack unit with the power circuitary), the Back Pane and their ribbon cable connections to the DSP and possibly Brain Board, but why it works sometimes and not others I have no idea, If I get the time tomorrow I will remove all of the ribbon cables associated with those areas and give them anoither clean and then see what happens !!!!!

I hope the photo has uploaded as I really have no idea as to how to upload/paste a photo into thr forum !!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:25 pm

csp wrote:Just getting stranger by the day !!!!

Yesterday it was the Brain Board that decided to go faulty and today the DSP card woud only show the Green Led the entire time.

I tried about three times and during the process (when the desk was powered down) Iremoved the effects cards and was going to systematically pull all of the optivcal cables from the OPT-8 cards --- I gave up before removing them.

I did however have a thought, although I doubt if under normal circumstances it would cause a problem but maybe with the d8b it could be different !!!

From the picture below, you will see that the big power cable has its outer plastic cover removed where it enters the RACK Unit and the shield is therefore touching the matal chassis of the RACK unit.

Big Power Cord.jpg

Could this touching on the metal case be causing any form of trouble. I did try some months ago the feed the exposed section of the cable back into the RACK unit and then insulating it, but this was quite difficult to do --- well on this desk anyway !!!!!

Any advicevwill be greatly appreciated and I apologice for the picture quality as I had to use my mobile/cell phone to take the picture and it is an older phone with a poor camera.

I am really starting to feel that the problem is somehow related to the Power Distribution board (eiter at the board or inside the Rack unit with the power circuitary), the Back Pane and their ribbon cable connections to the DSP and possibly Brain Board, but why it works sometimes and not others I have no idea, If I get the time tomorrow I will remove all of the ribbon cables associated with those areas and give them anoither clean and then see what happens !!!!!

I hope the photo has uploaded as I really have no idea as to how to upload/paste a photo into thr forum !!!

David

Wow...

Mothers f'n tears, that's an absolute mess... the integrity of that cable is mauled, it really wouldn't be at all surprising if there were multiple shorts/opens intermittently presenting themselves. Just so happened I looked at this thread, and wow... there it is. I viewed the other (main) thread to this, and I've maintained all along, solid voltage rails are essential for proper operation of this desk. I wouldn't even know where to begin addressing something like this without being there to inspect the damage(s). I hate to be the wet rag, but man this would be really concerning if it were me, that would need to be corrected before I did anything... at least determining if there's anything that I actually could do to resolve the issue. It's very clear at this point, however, that desk was badly abused before it got into your hands, David. I really feel for ya at this point...

Part the desk out, the D8B has got a cult following and someone somewhere is always looking for something to maintain their gear... and the serious among them are will to pay the piper (including the shipping costs)...

You've fought the good fight, be comfortable that you've exhausted everything at your disposal with the best effort you could apply. We both know, sometimes it just "ain't in the cards"...

All the best, man...

\m/ :|
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum