Change font size   Print view

Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Postby spmonkay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:59 pm

is it worth getting an sdr 24/96? or is there something else similar I could use?
spmonkay

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:01 am

Just looking at my options really!! Which way to go? Also are the pres rubbish on this unit cause I've read a lot of people really bitching about the d8b but also find others who absolutely love them!!
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:19 am

spmonkay wrote:Now I have it working as is!! Solo mode or whatever you'd call it!! Im wondering how to best use it! I was wondering whether id be better recording tracks using the d8b then putting the tracks into a daw! Not sure if that's possible or even plausible! How do you guys use it? Id like to use the sound of the d8b as in get a vintage 90's sounding recording? 90's vintage? Where did my life go?

This my work technology:
I have two computers/ One - Apple Power PC G5, with Pro Tools Mix TDM hardware and software, second - PC, with Cubase Pro 10, and vst plugins. Also I have a lot of hardware synths and effects: I have a Yamaha EX7, Yamaha W5, Yamaha QY300, Korg Triton Studio, Kurzweil PC3LE, Kurzweil K2000R, Roland D50, Roland JX305. From EFX, I have a Lexicon MPX550, TC M300, and TC M2000 reverb in D8B. How it use all? Very simple.

All drums, I have make with VST plugins in Cubase. I out every channel from Cubase via ADAT on my MOTU 2408 separately.
From MOTU ADAT outs, signal running to D8B Apogee ADAT in`s. It is the secondary bank (button "tape in", channels 25-48). When I need stereo channel, I make link two neighboring channels: You need push and hold two "select" buttons, and next to confirm Your choice under vacuum display, via pushing corresponding "select" button. Desk will indicate You about it on vacuum screen. After than You will be able to operate linking channels, as one stereo channel!

If I need to mixing some external synths, I just connect it to corresponding channel. If Your synth having SPDIF out, You can use it, if You desk having DIO expansion board. If not - just connect Your synth to first analog input bank with traditional TRS cables.

Next step, I make a midi programming my music in Cubase. All sliders on virtual Cubase mixer, I leave in the U positions. I dont want to let Cubase any mathematical operations yet! All mixing, I will make with real D8B sliders. You must make sure, that all input levels of signals have be not to overload.

When I have a midi structure of my song in Cubase, and all EFX is exists, I am just recording the submix to Pro Tools frome digital master out of D8B. If i have not enough channels, I am just make a new scene in D8B and make also one submix to second stereo track in Pro Tools... The point is that I do all the mixing inside D8B! And have a much more better sound, in the comparison with Cubase software mixdown only. Sorry for my bad English!
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:34 am

Ok cool! I think I will have to try a few things out and see how best it will work for me!
Your English is very good no need to apologise!

Im just glad its all working ok! :D

Thanks again!
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:45 am

spmonkay wrote:Ok cool! I think I will have to try a few things out and see how best it will work for me!
Your English is very good no need to apologise!

Im just glad its all working ok! :D

Thanks again!

In Your case, You just need to return Your submix from D8B SPDIF out to Your DAW SPDIF in. You just need create a stereo track in Your DAW, make it mute, and press record button in Your DAW. Just route any free digital input of audiocard with DAW stereo track for this! It will be work!
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:30 am

So basically use the daw as recorder??
spmonkay

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:33 am

Ah think I get what you mean! I will have a go over the weekend and see if I can figure it out!!
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:10 am

spmonkay wrote:So basically use the daw as recorder??

Yes!
angelotaylor

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:12 am

spmonkay wrote:Ah think I get what you mean! I will have a go over the weekend and see if I can figure it out!!

Excellent! Please report here about Your progress/results!
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:59 am

sure thing will do!! Just a quick question, do I choose SPDIF as my input in the DAW?
spmonkay

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum