Change font size   Print view

Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Postby spmonkay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm

I think I maybe a complete dumb ass!! :roll: I haven't looked yet but I'm wondering if I might have connected the cables wrong and maybe I've connected the the data to the printer parallel port!! Is that possible?
spmonkay

Postby Jondav1120 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:49 pm

spmonkay wrote:I have 2 d plugs and the big cable! Do I need both the d plugs then? I just presumed I needed both cause it came with both!

That's correct, I can't recall which end the plug goes, but the sockets that the data cable mates to are labelled "console data" at both ends.
If this cable is correctly connected and the BIOS settings are correct...then, I'm afraid it is probably time to open the console up and check the ribbon cables, especially the ones from the back of the power socket to the DSP card and the Brain card, and also the data cables from the back of the 25 pin socket to the DSP and Brain cards.
There is always the possibility of a faulty data cable between the CPU and the console (If you try and source a replacement...make sure that all 25 pins are connected straight through)

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:49 pm

spmonkay wrote:I have 2 d plugs and the big cable! Do I need both the d plugs then? I just presumed I needed both cause it came with both!

Yes! You will need both! First cable with "big metal circle connector" - it is the power supply. Second cable with db25 connectors on both cable sides - it is data cable!
angelotaylor

Postby Jondav1120 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:50 pm

spmonkay wrote:I think I maybe a complete dumb ass!! :roll: I haven't looked yet but I'm wondering if I might have connected the cables wrong and maybe I've connected the the data to the printer parallel port!! Is that possible?

I don't know...both my D8B's are in storage at the moment so I can't check if this is possible.

Sorry

John
Jondav1120

Postby spmonkay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:54 pm

SHES ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! I had ir connected wrong!! great stuff!!! Thank you so much!! Im over the moon!! Right need to figure out my next step!!!

Again thanks all for your help and advice!! Much appreciated!!
spmonkay

Postby Jondav1120 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:59 pm

Excellent :D :D :D :D :D :D (where's the "party" smilie when you need it....
Jondav1120

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:06 pm

spmonkay wrote:SHES ALIVE!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!! I had ir connected wrong!! great stuff!!! Thank you so much!! Im over the moon!! Right need to figure out my next step!!!

Again thanks all for your help and advice!! Much appreciated!!

COOOL! My congratulations! :) Please feel free Yourself for any questions!
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:18 pm

Now I have it working as is!! Solo mode or whatever you'd call it!! Im wondering how to best use it! I was wondering whether id be better recording tracks using the d8b then putting the tracks into a daw! Not sure if that's possible or even plausible! How do you guys use it? Id like to use the sound of the d8b as in get a vintage 90's sounding recording? 90's vintage? Where did my life go?
spmonkay

Postby spmonkay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:20 pm

Also is it worth updating to v5? Im currently running v3.
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:44 pm

spmonkay wrote:Also is it worth updating to v5? Im currently running v3.

Yes, You need to update to v5.1!
angelotaylor

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum