Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby m33 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 am

Marc,

Based on your current progress and anticipation of testing etc, what do you estimate the ship date will be?
m33

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:20 am

Mate, take it easy.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Re:

Postby bitSync » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:31 pm

@Marc,

Thank you for your patience with the questions and your thoughtful answers. Your explanations greatly improve my understanding of where you guys are headed.

Marc Girard wrote:
bitSync wrote:1. Is there anything about the DAW DLL interface looking like MCU MIDI that would constrict the speed limit of MIDI messages translated to d8b serial? Or does the DLL not using any MIDI device drivers overcome that bandwidth restriction?

Well, we're still writing the code for MIDI (virtual ports and all) but in theory, the limit would be the speed of the d8b itself, 115200 bauds (around 11k/sec) which is about 3.5 times faster than your normal MIDI speed. We should be fine.

Marc

I'm wondering if maybe the MIDI implementations on the various host DAWs will keep up with MCU MIDI-ized d8b serial data rates. Suppose the DAW software expects MIDI I/O no faster than the maximum spec MIDI data rate?

Cheering wildly from the sidelines!!!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Still looking what to do with the "Assign" button. Might be converterted into a "read" button since it's right on top of "write".

Considering that most modern DAWS automatically pop Read Mode on once Write has been activated along with some data. All you need to do is just hit Write again to turn writing off (Read remains active). But I suppose it could be
handy as a Read on/off switch.

Are you going to map out anything in the Master section beyond the Transport controls? Lotta stuff there would be handy.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:30 pm

FrankH wrote:Are you going to map out anything in the Master section beyond the Transport controls? Lotta stuff there would be handy.

I think it may be easier for Marc & Frank if the Master section functions were user assignable. Make it the same as setting up a generic remote in your DAW, that way everyone can customize their work flow commands.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Hello guys,

Here's another video of Frank's hacking skills! Bare with us, there's a lot of stuff going on this shaky video!

- New meter bridge routine. (still got little bugs to fix).
- Faders being read. The values is sent to the meter bridge (you can see the meters move as Frank's son is playing around with the faders).
- Full Time Display. (You can see the time of day on the time display, milliseconds too!).
- Scrolling text in the VFD Text window. (Controlled by the jog wheel! YAY!) Text is changed when pressing on "1" and "2".

All of this going on with enough serial bandwidth to spare, that was my main worry.

That's all for now folks, remember, I'm looking for some ideas for what to do with the channel number leds (the small green and red leds right below the pan pot. The best I've come with so far is light up green when there's signal and red when there's peaks.

MG
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:36 pm

DAW EQ on/off springs to mind for the select button. What's going on with the Master Right meter?

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby m33 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:08 pm

I think the channel selects and the LEDs are maybe being confused. I'm assuming the channel select buttons will still select the channel in the DAW and selecting a channel in the daw lights up the channel selects on the board correct?

As for ideas on the LEDs, yes, I think the overs are good idea. However, that might be superfluous since the meters can do overs and signals too. How about having them turn red if the daw channel is routed to a bus and green if they are not routed? Could be the other way around too, color-wise, I mean.
m33

Postby mackdaddie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm

ohh my...! what a progress. lovin it.
mackdaddie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:18 am

Hey guys,

Frank really pulled a crazy one tonight! Take a good look at the latest video, there's some glitches going on in the meter bridge. Frank busted his ass off finding the bug... Thing is that the d8b pairs the meters and the addressing a little weird. Frank managed to hack the d8b OS firmware and changed it! He even added a new serial command that lights up just works with one led meter instead of pairs, like Mackie did... Man, that's some heavy stuff! Sent me a new video, the meters are SUPER smooth now! YES!

MG
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum