Change font size   Print view

db8 OS loadng issue

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: db8 OS loadng issue

Postby captainamerica » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks..I was able to dump the OS 5.1 install on three floppy discs from the website via your method (I removed the mackie 3.5 drive and put into a host Computer)... but *now* I am unable to read any these floppies from my db8 drive?. The d8b doesn't even load an MSDOS disc anymore during boot-up and freezes as it tries to load original OS. I suspect I must have some sort I/O problem . I just can't seem to put my finger on any of these consistent issues...they all seem random.
I think I am now considering sending unit in for repairs given all these issues.
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Steve Rogers?

I really believe you should follow the Mackie protocol in order to install the OS. Format the drive in the d8b itself. This is a long thread and I can't remember if you purchased a USB floppy drive for your computer. If not, do so and follow the detailed instructions for creating your floppies. Otherwise find a friend who has an old machine with a floppy drive and make a few copies of the disks. They cost next to nothing. Make sure you turn "Format: on" with a text editor and save that to floppy 1. You gotta do it by the book. It works, I promise you. The Mackie OS is different to a straight ahead Windows implementation.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby captainamerica » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks...have been following protocol ect, but perhaps I missed something. I will double check everything again

Philippe
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:11 pm

partition.jpg
partition.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1491 times

BIOS.jpg
BIOS.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 1491 times

When I load "FDISK" on both my old drive and new drive, the Fixed Drive value stays at 2047 (25% capacity)? I have made sure the BIOS sees the Primary Master and saved to CMOS every time.
These are 2 different drives, newer one is jumper set to 32G, the other is the original Mackie 20Gig drive.
Is there something else I need to do to set these drives at 20 or 32Gigs?
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:37 am

I think I have found the problem...looks like it was a hard-drive issue after all, along with some config issues.
busy loading OS right now
will keep you posted
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:00 pm

I was able to install 5.1 but not the service pack3. That install died during disc 1. I than tried using another clean floppy install (downloaded it again) and ran into the same issue from that new set.

Note: 5.1 boots up ok, but I am getting all kinds of hardware issues like my first few posted threads.

Question about the new drive: When I first installed the new hard drive, I was led to believed that I needed to FDISK and FORMAT this new drive for new OS. However, that never seem to work with this new drive. However, after reviewing some install notes, I saw something about not needing to do that if this was a "clean drive". I than went ahead and ran the 5.1 install without doing FDISK and FORMAT and making sure the "Format:On" command line was edited from disk 1. I was able to install 5.1 but that was as far as I got before I started getting hardware issues. Does this approach make sense?

Unless anyone has any thoughts into this issue, I suspect I am having hardware/mother board problems and thinking of sending my d8b for service.

Thanks for you help

Philippe
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 am

I've been following this thread and as the other members have been dispensing solid advice, I've had nothing to contribute...up until now. When you wrote:
5.1 boots up ok, but I am getting all kinds of hardware issues like my first few posted threads.

I went back to the top of the thread and gave up. As a former maintenance engineer, I have to tell you: vague doesn't work. The more solid detail the better. Try being specific as to what hardware issues are cropping up, otherwise this thread is going to stretch out another few pages while everyone plays 20 questions with you.

Frankly, I'd like like to see a happy ending here sooner rather than later.

As to your drive, I would have followed the complete formatting procedure regardless of whether it was new or not. Again this: "I was able to install 5.1 but that was as far as I got before I started getting hardware issues." You got it installed and then what? Seriously, be specific and detailed.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm

I appreciate the feedback Frank, but is all honesty, it has been frustrated to pinpoint a specific pattern when your dealing with legacy software and inconsistent hardware issues. Initially, some folks suggested a hard-drive problem when I explained that I was getting random hardware message errors during boot-up such as no sound, plugins registration queries, or frozen start-up sessions. Hence why they suggested a possible drive problem. (BTW: Threads 1 and 2 did indicate what type of errors I was getting - see pics)
As you can see, it's been a battle on all fronts trying to establish patterns and I don't want to waste anymore time with everyone.

I will follow-up with Mackie support to see what they can do.

Appreciate the support
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby EricRuss » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:57 pm

The guys at S & X are great.

We are in Western North Carolina and also have lots of parts/accessories available. We also do d8b/HDR/MDR repairs/upgrades and we are connected with one of the top d8b techs on the planet for things that may occasionally stump us. He did all of the on location work for Mackie in Southern California for many years, starting with the 8 Bus Series and then d8b and Digital X Bus. You can email me at TopGanoEric@aol.com
EricRuss

Postby captainamerica » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 am

Yep...they are working on the problem...looks like I had few issues with my main PowerBoard and some connectors
I should be getting back b8b ~ 2 weeks
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum