Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Axeman098 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Badbass780 wrote:OHMYGOD, OHMYGOD, OHMYGOD! ...HUI! the original HUI uses all the same components and has an internal power supply with a regular AC plug. Wouldn't that component work as a replacement of the d8b CPU?

Please elaborate? Your saying the HUI Power Supply could be used? Please explain...
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Badbass780 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:17 pm

the HUI was released in 1997, the d8b in 1998. These two devices were essentially made on the same platform, one designed for Pro Tools control the other for live sound. The components however are basically the same which would suggest they have the same power requirements.The HUI is connected by an AC plug which suggests the power supply is inside the device. It would stand to reason that it's power supply is suited to provide adequate power for the d8b's automation and LED components. What do you think? Sound plausible?

The d8b is basically a big HUI (which is what Marc is creating), just look at the two side by side. I'd bet 100 to 1 that its compatible.
Badbass780

Postby Axeman098 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:00 am

You might be on to something, but keep in mind, the HUI is barely half the size of the D8B. I doubt the HUI's power supply alone could run the entire D8B console, BUT that said, it still may be possible to adapt that design somehow. I'm sure there's bound to be similarities between the two just from a design and production standpoint. There might be a way to adapt the HUI's design into a modification for the D8B. Maybe even with more than one HUI P/S???
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:55 pm

I found the HUI Service Manual if you're interested in looking at it. Has some schematics, mostly part #'s, but there might be some useful information in there to figure out if it might work or be modifiable.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Companies generally create what is easiest and most cost effective for them... certainly the latter. There is nothing wrong with an over designed PS, as long as the voltage is correct. If you are purchasing from a vendor it makes sense to increase the numbers for many reasons. I find much of the d8b design in the category of an over design, so to me this is plausible that Mackie might have done this with the HUI, I think it unlikely though.

However the OEM also might have designed two completely different units based on specs required. Could also be anything under the sun. The specifications, if they were close, might work anyway.

I hope this is making sense, I am pretty tired. I do not know the production procedure of Mackie and/or if it made sense to have these parts interchange.

One thing straight of the top is weight. I have held a few HUI units and I am pretty sure there is not a d8b's PS in there.

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Marc, I know you mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I was curious as to the staus of a couple of things. You said earlier you had tested the following DAW's

- Cockos Reaper 4
- Presonus StudioOne 1.5
- Propellerheads Reason 5
- Steinberg Nuendo 4 / Cubase 5
- Cakewalk Sonar 8.5

Two questions, did you ever resolve the Sonar issue? And what about Pro Tools? I would be a bit "stunned" to say the least if Pro Tools didn't work with it, as PT is pretty awesome about auto-detecting interfaces, hardware etc. I/O assignments, etc. One of the coolest things I dig about PT9 is how it automatically and logically assigns detected interface I/O's without the need for creating a "template" like you would in Sonar. When I used an M-audio Profire 26/26 with PT9, PT put all the channel assignments into the project correctly without me having to do anything. It just logically assigned all the inputs accordingly in a new project without me having to do a damn thing. I can't imagine it would have much issue with your software, and I'm even more curious now that PT 10 is out.

If PT 10 has all the functionality that you've shown in your videoes with Logic/Neundo, etc. Then I am going to be absolutely STOKED to use my D8B with PT. Oh, one more question. When v1.0 of the bridge software is released, do you plan on including either a video or written tutorial of all the available functionality and how it works? I'm curious to know how you had envisioned being able to show everyone HOW and WHAT you can do with it. Especially all the cool little features for controlling plug-ins, the vpot zooms and eq control etc. The devil is always in the details, and I know there are going to be a bunch of them with this software. I'd imagine trying to pack all of this into a sellable package is both exciting and frustrating, but I envy you having this task with all the help, advice, and encouragement you've gotten from all of us on here in the forums.

You'll need a 1-800- phone support hotline once it's released! hahahahahahaha :)
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:49 am

Hello all,

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy finishing a few projects and fighting a damn cold...

Here's good news: I'm officially starting the beta test phase. Bought all the hardware to build many custom D8Bridge serial cables! :) My first beta tester will be Peter, as he's using the same platform as mine (Nuendo), he also contributed graphics to the software.

As for the pricing of the package (Software + Custom Cable), We're gonna be asking a selling price of 350$. I've recevied many suggestions, from 50$ to 1000$! I think 350$ is OK, not much more than a good quality plugin you'd buy say, for your DAW. All future 1.x versions/revisions are gonna be available for free to registered users. Transactions will be handled via PayPal for quick and easy payments.

Axeman, D8Bridge emulates 3 Mackie Control Universal consoles. So it's compatible with everything that supports the MCU protocol. Unfortunately, Pro Tools is *not* supporting MCU, they're hanging on to their archaic HUI protocol instead. The reason why we went with MCU is that it's fully supported by Cubase/Nuendo and many other DAWs. The MCU protocol is also better documented that HUI. There's no official HUI protocol documentation available really. I'm not closing the door on HUI but it would require a complete rewrite of D8Bridge. As for videos and documentation, yes, it is planned. I already posted a map of the buttons some time ago, check it out! :)

Thanks guys for hanging in there, we're getting real close to a release! Man, it's been 2 years in the making already!

Cheers,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby deanoh » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Great news Marc!

It sounds fair too! Can't wait any more mate, can't wait!!! Many thanks.

Regards,
Deanoh
deanoh

Postby Axeman098 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for the info Marc, why am I not surprised that Pro Tools is doing that :P No biggie, I can live without it, as long as Sonar works I'll be a happy camper. Pricing sounds good and quite reasonable. I look forward to the finished product. I would be happy to place my Preorder now :P
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dan Worley » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Marc Girard wrote:
As for the pricing of the package (Software + Custom Cable), We're gonna be asking a selling price of 350$.

Sounds fair, as long as you don't charge $200 for shipping the cables. ;)

I use Digital Performer on a Mac. When will D8Bridge be ready for me?

c-ya,

Dan Worley
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum