Change font size   Print view

Advice on what to do first with a d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Advice on what to do first with a d8b

Postby captainamerica » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:18 am

yes and you have a lot of great setup examples from the team above.
How you maximize recording/mixing/mastering, really depends on a few things:

1) Your Patchbay setup between DAW and D8b --> key for switching your setup

2) Whether you want to work within your DAW or D8b or hybrid setup (I mix/master back to my d8b but do most of my recording editing within my DAWs)

3) the amount I/O audio interfaces you have available (I have 3 I/O connected in my d8b and connected to my external audio interface, thus allowing me to record ~20 instruments at the same time)

4) MIDI control surfaces ( I have 4 MIDI control surfaces connected to my DAW. This allows greater automation with my DAW)

Take the time to work through these issues....there are many many options you can choose from.
RJ, arjespen and Y-my-R have provided great setup examples.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 8.23.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 8.23.34 PM.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2338 times
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby spynmaker » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:11 pm

This is such a great community and everybody has a lot of knowledge of these desk. Well I got in my new CPU and did some cleaning and picking around and I finally got a working desk! AND it's the newer motherboard (saying 366mhz if I remember correctly ) and it had never been opened!
It actually had 5.1 install with SP trying to " download" and then of course ask for the dreaded CODE!!! lol
So I'm ready for the CF Setup now. And if I can upgrade the HDR, it probably wouldn't hurt. Any certain CF I need? Besides it being 4GB.

Again, thanks everybody!
spynmaker

Postby spynmaker » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:15 pm

Sorry, forgot to post a picture...
Attachments
D981C3EB-C3F2-4B02-B315-D5C012CC762A.jpeg
D981C3EB-C3F2-4B02-B315-D5C012CC762A.jpeg (Array MiB) Viewed 2332 times
spynmaker

Postby captainamerica » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:11 pm

There is info of a DIY CF setup on the site but I have been using https://reverb.com/item/2452007-mackie- ... -drive-kit for 3 years with no issues.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.12.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 11.12.27 AM.png (Array KiB) Viewed 2327 times
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:22 pm

Did you already find the instructions in the forum how to apply the Mackie OS 5.1 crack, @spynmaker? If not, the info is here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1634&hilit=new+crack&start=150

Basically, you replace the MackieOS.exe on the D8B harddrive and you should be good to go. No further serial codes needed.

jf_uk made things really easy for us, so thanks SO MUCH again to him for being awesome!

I found it easiest to open the rack-case and connect an IDE-to-USB adapter (they're cheap... around $20... I already had one before I got the D8B and I needed it countless times for other projects, so I think that's well worth it), and mount the harddrive to another computer (should work via both, Mac or PC).

I just realized that that Mud Duck system already comes with one of those - that's even better! Very nice kit, indeed!

Then from there, rename the old MackieOS.exe, put the new one in the same place, then re-connect the wires in the D8B and boot... should come up as authorized (incl. all available plug-ins).

For what it's worth, I ordered some cheap/randmom IDE/CF adapter and use that in one of my D8B rack units and it works fine. However, I wish that I would have spent the money to get a kit with a slot that makes the CF card accessible from the outside of the case, like Captain America suggested above.

I had the need to get to the CF card a few times for a variety of reasons since then, and already the first time you have to get the CPU unit out of the rack and open all the screws to get there, if you installed it deep inside the case, will be enough for you to wish that you got an external mount for the CF card, too ;)

Again, best of luck with all of that!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Y-my-R wrote:For what it's worth, I ordered some cheap/randmom IDE/CF adapter and use that in one of my D8B rack units and it works fine. However, I wish that I would have spent the money to get a kit with a slot that makes the CF card accessible from the outside of the case, like Captain America suggested above.

I had the need to get to the CF card a few times for a variety of reasons since then, and already the first time you have to get the CPU unit out of the rack and open all the screws to get there, if you installed it deep inside the case, will be enough for you to wish that you got an external mount for the CF card, too ;)

Here ya go...

https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=611&search=SD-CF-IDE-BR
https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=information/wheretobuy
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9siv4w4fcy7832
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Connects-3-5-Inch-Interface-SD-CF-IDE-BR/dp/B001JTO782

Open the CPU host, insert this onto any open/available PCI slot on the backplane, slap the IDE ribbon cable on it, apply power and close the case. This is my own personal preference for the reasons you've outlined above... my HDR also has the same adapter. It's really just a No-Brain'r from my perspective... only ~ $10 (USD) give or take, a pretty minimal investment I would think for anyone. Keep in mind as you can see, it's access from the back of the case...

Of course, here's the usual caveat:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby spynmaker » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:32 am

I actually ordered that same drive before seeing that kit lol
That and two CF cards. now loading...... he he
Sorry guys, I haven’t been around because I’ve been playing around with this thing, getting the gremlins out of it
(slider 3 is sticking, and the play, stop buttons stick a little too). pretty rough but function like they should.

Is there a way to unstick sliders and clean those buttons?

As far as the OS. Doesn’t arjepsen have a version you just restore to a CF card? That’s the one I downloaded.
Now one question though. Do you format the CF card first or does the program do that for you when you restore?

I actually had all the codes the next day. The guy I got it from found all the codes (I have everyone except 3) But it’s gonna be nice to have them all though.
spynmaker

Postby Phil.c » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:36 pm

Do a fader calibration, as for the start/stop button, lift the cover out with a small screwdriver each side, then drop in something like isopropyl alcohol and keep pressing the switch to get the IPA around inside to clean the contacts.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby spynmaker » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Ok, So I got the CF card in and it’s playing happy with everything so far. So how to I go about going ahead and upgrading the HDR? Do we just use CF cards in these too? I appreciate everybody’s comments and input. It’s been very helpful in getting everything together.
spynmaker

Postby arjepsen » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:42 pm

You can definately use CF cards in the HDR too.
I messed around with it a while back, and used a 128Gb card for it.
(be aware, that this size will require an upgrade of the bios chip. I believe that there's a member on here, who can burn these - I bought one from him. I don't remember his name right now though).
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum