Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby frama78 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:12 am

High C Double G wrote:I got my pom poms and am cheering for you over here in Los Angeles, that might not be the visual you want to see, but I am on your side!! :lol:

what about a GLOBAL flashmob? i know some german users over here who would join this probably :lol:

btw: what´s happening with the audio-side, if the mod runs on a d8b? will the mod be reversible?
frama78

Postby High C Double G » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah I am in on that, just let me know time... etc. We all would need to buy the pom-poms, luckily I have a set already... please don't ask! :P

To the switch back to mixer mode and then to DAW controller mode I am for this... I am not sure what Marc is going to do. The Data cable (db25) is going to be split to run Marc's software as he only is using half of the pins to connect to the computer DAW. If we are to use the d8b continue as a mixer it is a physical "switch the cable" thing, and a re-boot into mixer land. I have not given this a whole lot of thought but if Marc's cable would split out to a 25 pin at least we would not have to reach to the back and swap cables... this would be a plus. But it is a recipe for disaster because well read below...

The down side of this is people are sorta not smart (how's that for being kind?) so the ability for the bridge controller and the d8b mixer to be running (powered on) is there. This is the problem that needs to be solved for a quick switching from controller to mixer. I know Marc's motivation is to get the controller working flawlessly and doesn't really care too much about the mixer. This is what got him started on this thing to begin with. He wants to utilize the d8b desk as a controller for a computer based audio system. The mixer is not on his radar, this is what I think anyway.

There is a way to set up a simple low voltage relay that would auto switch the cable to the DB15 that Marc needs to the DB25 pin the mixer needs. This is not a difficult thing to do.

But first things first... what time is the GLOBAL flash mob in Marc's (and Frank's) honor!!! :lol:
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:34 am

Marc Girard wrote:On the plus side, working out on the calibration, I found out a REAL INTERESTING feature of the D8B that you guys might never heard of: It looks like there is two motor speeds available to us!

Maybe I'm wrong but my feeling is that it WAS used in the original software. When you switch layers or similar, then the faders seem to move fast at first and then they slow down as approaching the destination position. So I think the original software automatically switched the two speeds depending on the distance between the two positions (original/target) to help precision. Just my guess based on experience...
High C Double G wrote:Well let's not forget we need that power... :o just saying...

If you remove the analogue boards (and maybe some DSP) from the console, then a simple PC style PSU would be more than sufficient. Maybe even without disconnecting those cards. Plus, it almost fits in the case - see proof below. :)
Attachments
17062011810a.JPG
A PC style PSU fits almost perfectly the D8B's case
17062011810a.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 2942 times
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 am

yes I hear ya Joe, I am just not ready or willing to give up a possible option to switch from Bridge to Mixer and back again.
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm

High C Double G wrote:yes I hear ya Joe, I am just not ready or willing to give up a possible option to switch from Bridge to Mixer and back again.

Yeah, I know - me too. But if you have the analogue function, you'll keep the CPU anyways, won't you? I don't think Marc or Mackie is going to rewrite the original software for a newer motherboard - even though I'm contemplating an analysis of required MB resources and to see how a newer PC could be tricked into running the original software.

Imagine this: a new i7 machine in the original CPU box, dual boot and you can decide whether you want your favourite DAW controlled by the D8B, or you can boot to the original Mackie SW and use it as a digital analogue console. Even better if the soft can be made to run in a virtual environment, then you could run an MTR or DAW sofware to record, on the same machine, at the same time.

I can always dream, can't I? :D
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:00 pm

synthjoe wrote:I can always dream, can't I? :D

Yes you can and it is encouraged, and for the record, so many of us have been doing this FOR YEARS, dreaming that is. There has not been a SDK release from Mackie and I am pretty sure, if it hasn't happened yet, it is just not going to happen. I am not sure of the logistics of such an endeavor or what licenses or legal crap is involved, but it is way more complicated than my brain has the power for. :|

Marc (and Frank’s) M&F II software for the d8b to control and “bridge” useable control surface to your DAW. MFII (nobody likes it???) :( oh well,

Anyway, yeah – where was I? Back more than a few years ago I guess. I don’t know why it hasn’t been opened up at this point. I am not sure who if anyone is paying any attention to it. A new and improved newer version with a upgraded (modern) system is plain not gonna happen. Truth is IMO, the d8b is pretty cool when you know it and use the good and discard the not so good, this is why I want to still use it. Marc and Frank's idea is like Marc says... "a whole new way of working" - I hope this come to pass and it is the real deal, but I don't want to give up just yet the very good of what the d8b has to offer in my present set up.

I am pretty tired so I hope this makes sense. I got to get some sleep now ... zzzzzzzzzzz

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm

I would LOVE to see a way to eliminate the CPU/PSU rack entirely if desired. I don't use the Mackie mixer software, I do everything through my DAW (Sonar/Pro Tools), and don't have the time or desire to learn the Mixer software. I would like to replace the rack peice. with a modern Rack mount PC for recording and control of the D8Bridge software. I prefer to use more modern Pre's anyway, so for me using the Mixer for audio would be a step backwards in Anolog Pre quality. I would like to strip the consolde down to the bare minimum neccessary to power the board as a dedicated controller. I would also like to use it as a controller for mobile recording as well, so the less weight I'd have in my rack, the better I'd like it.

Joe, thats an interesting point in your pic. The PSU would fit with some modification. Looks like with the right brackets you could almost mount it to the underside of the aluminum backplane it's up against in the pic? I dunno, I haven't looked inside my D8B in a while. The questions *I* have are: 1, I would assume that removing the analog board/s would not create an issue with the Bridge software's functionality since Analog I/O will not function anyway? 2, where would the heat generated by the PSU inside the console go? There would probably need to be a casing mod/vent hole cut to allow the heat to escape? Maybe an 80mm PC Case fan exhaust of some kind? I can't imagine the heat would be good for the internals in the long term. Still though, I'd be very interested in finding a way to either do this, OR have some sort of smaller PSU box, that could sit on the floor/table etc. next to the board.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Axeman098 wrote:I would LOVE to see a way to eliminate the CPU/PSU rack entirely if desired.

Funny you should say that. The d8b was originally going to be all in the console, sans external CPU. I believe there were some issues with noise that prevented that design from coming to fruition. I have an armrest on my d8b that has the floppy slot there from when they mocked up a few. It makes for nice floppy holder.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Axeman098 wrote:There would probably need to be a casing mod/vent hole cut to allow the heat to escape? Maybe an 80mm PC Case fan exhaust of some kind?

That's the point I'm speculating about... Maybe you can do with passive cooling, since the PC PSU has a minimum 250W capacity and by removing DSP and analogue boards I can hardly imagine that the desk's consumption would be over a few 10 watts. So maybe passive cooling will be OK - after all the desk is passive cooled as it is, and it dissipates far more heat when DSP/analogue cards are connected. Maybe a smaller, passive cooled PSU can also be used, I'm fixated on PC PSU out of pure convenience (have a dozen of them, or so).
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Marc Girard » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Hello all,

Lots of activity around here lately! :) That's nice to see!

I like the idea of mounting the power supply inside the d8b for sure! :) Synthjoe is right, we could throw away all the analog and DSP boards, it wouldn't be a problem... I don't think the d8b brain would stall if those board were to be removed, still has to be tested.

If we're gonna mount the PC PSU in the d8b, we'll probably need to also mount the rest of the PSU as the d8b needs more that +5v and +12v. I think I already wrote about the specs in a previous post. Not impossible though.

I'm having an eye an another d8b, I might buy a second one soon. This one will go straight to my mixing studio for production and testing in a real studio environment. My current unit will be used for further development and spare parts. So, it'll be a good candidate to remove the analog/DSP boards and mount the PSU in, just for fun! :)

Cheers all,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum