Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello all,

I think my d8b is starting to have the famous "stuck fader" problem. It's only on the very first fader. I'll crack it open and do some "ribbon cable" cleaning. I know that Peter's site have tons of good info on that subject. I'll have another look.

I also wanted to say that I've got an SSL Nucleus controller these days at the studio. I'm testing it out with a friend, I have to say, nice board! A bit expensive for what it offers. The USB sound card and the master section sounds awesome. I'll saying this to you guys because SSL went down the ipMIDI way... They did almost the same as my own d8b protocol, piping everything through the virtual MIDI ports. I have to say: it feels sluggish and a bit slow. It is sexy in terms of operation and connectivity but it is very jerky when used with the DAW.

That's why I've decided to go with the direct RS-232 hookup via a custom wire. Not as sexy but way more efficient. We bypass the "network" layer.

Now, I'm thinking about hiring a programmer to do it all in C/C++ for Windows platforms at least. I'd like to know, how much you guys would be willing to pay for such a hack? I'm thinking about bundling a custom wire with each sale because I'll have to pay my guy in the end for the software. I'm still investigating that route.

Cheers all,

Marc
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby MOSHWITZ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Sup?

If it is not to much (just a drywall guy by Day :cry: :oops: ) and it carried some kind of support I will say,,,, I'm in.

Great job Brother
MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bitSync » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:54 am

Marc Girard wrote:Now, I'm thinking about hiring a programmer to do it all in C/C++ for Windows platforms at least. I'd like to know, how much you guys would be willing to pay for such a hack? I'm thinking about bundling a custom wire with each sale because I'll have to pay my guy in the end for the software. I'm still investigating that route.

Marc,

I'm kinda slow, so forgive me...

As I understand it, you are now considering writing a C/C++ Windows DLL that will communicate directly with the d8b in native d8b serial-speak to the special serial pin-out hack you've developed? No MCU emulation or MCU-to-serial translation (except for possibly inside the DLL). No Ethernet. This will appear to the Windows host DAW software as a custom controller device? Will the DAW see the DLL as MCU MIDI messages?

I like this, because I think it means I can put an automatable (or manual) multipin switch on the d8b serial I/O to switch back and forth between your serial hack and the standard d8b CPU serial I/O (and possibly some MIDI switching in there as well). Hit the switch and the console is talking to the DAW in serial mode. Hit the switch again and your in serial comms with the d8b CPU. Cycle a couple layer buttons and in Mackie OEM layers mode you right back where you were. An update button on the DLL GUI to send current configuration would put the board in an instantaneously updated DAW controller mode. There's probably better ways of doing this but I'm just what-iffing...

I have Sonar 8.5.3 / X1 running. It doesn't speak HUI. My d8b doesn't speak MCU. It's all very sad. My price point is looking like the cost of (1) Pro Tools 9, (2) a used MCU, (3) Eucon, or (4) developing a HUI-to-MCU MIDI translator. Choices (1), (2) and (4) only give me the 8 channels at a time; choice (3) is pretty pricey. So certainly in that cost neighborhood. If I can have it all happening on the d8b, I'll be one very happy camper.

Please keep us posted!
Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR 2016 Platinum x64 Newburyport / 2x Mackie d8b 5.1 + (D8Bridge v1.1 x32 or ProBox) / 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 2TB SATA3 SSD / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / New Belgium 1554
bitSync
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I too am watching this very closely, and have been VERY impressed with Marc's work. Youtube videos offer great hope!!!!. Would love the ability to use my D8B in Sonar and Pro Tools would be a dream come true! I would pay significantly for the abilty to use it as a controller WITH the Audio inputs, much like a Tascam FW1884 interface. That would greatly extend the usability of the D8B for sure! But I would be willing to donate to the cause for the research being done on the controller side. Even that would allow HUGE control options in my studio, as we use Pro Tools with a Mac. Just being able to use all the Fader banks and basic Transport functions would allow for amazing things in my current studio setup. Count me in on any finished product package for sure!!!! :)
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby farmac » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:22 pm

I'd drop a few hundred bucks without hesitation. Once the regular guys around here jumped on board , and proved it was legit. Absolutely !!!
My D8b might make it back into the main control room yet !!
farmac

Postby siraltus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm

I'd definitely pay a hundred bucks or so for the software + cable!
siraltus

Postby Marc Girard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 am

Hey guys, it's confirmed, I've got a stucked fader on my d8b. I tried to find some info on how to fix the mothertrucker but no luck. Do I have to replace to whole 8 fader bank? If so, where can I get one of these? Thanks in advance guys,

MG
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby Casey_Pittman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 am

if it's only one fader I don't think it would be a problem with the whole fader bank. A good way to check this is pull the bank, move that fader to another position on the board and see if the problem follows. If it does then it's just the fader and that's not too bad a fix. Shoot me a PM if you end up needing one fader, I've been saving a few for a rainy day.

Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 am

Check this post and in fact, read the whole thread. Could be worthwhile.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Petersueco » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:26 am

Mark,

Check out this document about a guy who replaced several faders with a very similar model of Alps faders. The fader he used were the newer ones that also have the touch function. He didn't get the fader to be touch controllable but his board is up and running.

The text is in Spanish but the pictures are pretty self explanatory. If you need some help with the translation let me know.

Fader replacement

Peter Holmquist.
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum