Change font size   Print view

Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o MIDI)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Converting a D8B to a full fledged DAW Controller (w/o M

Postby Axeman098 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 pm

VERY COOL VIDEO!!!! Scrolling channel feature is F-in AWESOME!!!! Can't WAIT to get to use this!

Here's a thought from a PC Geek. If we're not using the internal PC board, Mackie software, etc. Why not simply replace it completely with a more modern PC motherboard/Chip combo, and MAKE a self contained recording PC/ Control Surface combo? I will open up my CPU and have another look and see if this would be remotely doable. It would be cool to have a small Quad core rig in there with a large single drive and maybe a SSD running Win 7x64, but I need to look again and see how the CPU Power supply integrates with the rest of it, and how difficult it will be to swap in a much stronger PSU.

I think it could be done though...

My reasons for trying are simple, much less weight in my SKB Rack Case if I dont need to have 2 CPU chassis in it. Everything could be contained in the Mackie's original case, with a few rack pre's and good to go with less to lug around for a mobile recording setup.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Sat May 07, 2011 9:09 pm

What about G8V ?

Reviewing your last video I see that you are holding the JOG/SHUTLLE button while you scroll the channels.

Is the jog wheel working to scroll the DAW song cursor without holding that button?
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby neto117 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:12 pm

reviveD8B
Describes the whole project...
D8B 5.1, PROBOX, Tascam FW-1804 & US-1800, Scarlett 18i20 Audio Interfaces, Win10 PRO, AMD PhenII X6 3.3 GHz, 16gb Ram, SONAR Platinum, Five 1tb HDs One for OS & Progs Four Mirrored in 2 Vols for Audio & Video files and a 60G SSD.
neto117

Postby Casey_Pittman » Sat May 07, 2011 9:13 pm

I like the idea but keep in mind that there is not a typical back plane for the on board connections like keyboard or mouse. We would have to use USB Versions of thes and that takes up a card slot. Plus another for FW connections then video, network. That kills 4 out of 7 slots already & we haven't gotten to any UAD or other PCIe cards that one might have. Not to mention the front of the caseis only set up for a floppy drive and is not wide enough to put a burner in there with out having to make the hole larger.

If you haven't noticed I've thought about this already. I think a better option would be to buy a new server case and mount the power supples for the controller in with the computer if there is enough room. The other option would be to just make a new power supply case out of a 2U rack enclosure from Par-Metal.com

I like the idea of self contained, just not with what's already there. But my concerns might not make that much of a difference to what you can accomplish & what your setup is.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby MOSHWITZ » Sun May 08, 2011 1:22 am

Sup?
Marc Girard wrote:Hey guys,

I'm looking for a cool name for the project now! I want something more original than "D8B Remote" or "D8B Controller" (those are the names we are using). I thought about "DAW8B" which is funny, but I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers,

Marc

D8C ;)

MOSHON
DAVE
MOSHWITZ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:57 am

Casey_Pittman wrote:I like the idea but keep in mind that there is not a typical back plane for the on board connections like keyboard or mouse. We would have to use USB Versions of thes and that takes up a card slot. Plus another for FW connections then video, network. That kills 4 out of 7 slots already & we haven't gotten to any UAD or other PCIe cards that one might have. Not to mention the front of the caseis only set up for a floppy drive and is not wide enough to put a burner in there with out having to make the hole larger.

If you haven't noticed I've thought about this already. I think a better option would be to buy a new server case and mount the power supples for the controller in with the computer if there is enough room. The other option would be to just make a new power supply case out of a 2U rack enclosure from Par-Metal.com

I like the idea of self contained, just not with what's already there. But my concerns might not make that much of a difference to what you can accomplish & what your setup is.

-Casey

Well, you do have a solid point with the existing case. I like the idea of creating a new Power supply case. That would be an interesting comprimise to save weight and maybe a rack space. I just can't wait to use this in a Live mobile recording setup...Gonna wow quite a few people to see a D8B running as a DAW controller. :P

As for a project name I like either D8C, D8BC, D8BControl, or D8BCU. I especially like D8BCU (Digital 8 Bus Control Universal) Keeps it's simple, and designates it as a controller version & how it is seen. ;)
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 am

I like d8bcdawmarcfrankd8bc --- JK ha ha

It really isn't a digital eight buss anymore so reference would be for the legacy of the product and also to make the connection. So my vote is to name it... drum roll please...

MFII - software controller system for the d8b digital console.

I still like the idea of being able to switch back and forth from mixer to controller, seems like it is going in a straight ahead controller direction at this point.

Progress is good though, even if it looks like a magic show to me.

Michael
Last edited by High C Double G on Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 pm

High C Double G wrote:I still like the idea of being able to switch back and forth from mixer to controller, seems like it is going in a straight ahead controller direction at this point.

Thinking about how the computer boots & loads the mackie os if we loose data connection to the board won't a restart be required every time we would want to switch? IDK.

a new DSP engine would be super cool but I can only imagine the headache for developing such a thing.

A neat idea would be to gut all the analog connections and build up a niffty analog summing box out of it.

just thinking out loud at this point, pay no mind to me.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Axeman098 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Well, Ideally, I'd love to still be able to use the Audio I/O's while still having the controller function, as this would simplify my rig tremendously. Granted the Mackie's Pre's aren't state of the art, but they aren't total crap either. I WOULD like to still be able to use it as a mixer for live events, etc. But ultimately, I don't mind using outboard Pre's if I get the total package of a full D8B control surface.
Axeman098
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby johnno » Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Let's see how the MCU side of things goes first, that's definitely first priority.

If it ever gets to it, then maybe it could be done in such a way that fader bank 1 can be used for inputs and levels, as with tracking and bank 2 can be for the MCU interface section (whereas before it was tape in/mixdown)

*edit* by the way, HI!
johnno

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum