Change font size   Print view

Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Newbie setup help PLEASE!!!!

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:06 pm

spmonkay wrote:sure thing will do!! Just a quick question, do I choose SPDIF as my input in the DAW?

Yes. I mean SPDIF on Your external audio interface. From D8B, You need to out the master channel via onboard SPDIF, or AES output. What type format digital input You will use with Your DAW, depended from Your external audio interface. I use hardware Pro Tools MIX TDM, as secondary DAW for submixes recording, but in Your case, You can use one DAW in Yor MacBook/Mac Mini for all purposes simultaneously.
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:15 pm

Well I have a focusrite Safire pro 40 which is FireWire to Mac. The pro 40 has spdif and 1 adat connections.
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:33 pm

spmonkay wrote:Well I have a focusrite Safire pro 40 which is FireWire to Mac. The pro 40 has spdif and 1 adat connections.

This is complete enough for Your experiment.
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:12 pm

ok I will have a go at setting it up tomorrow! Thank you!
spmonkay

Postby spmonkay » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:17 pm

When I connect as you said above do I need to also boot it with the pro box so I can also use it as a daw controller?
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:10 pm

spmonkay wrote:When I connect as you said above do I need to also boot it with the pro box so I can also use it as a daw controller?

I dont work with ProBox and can not give You an answer....((
angelotaylor

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:42 am

If you don't have an external switch, to physically change the connection from the DB25 cable that is connected between the D8B console and the rack unit, to instead go from the console to the ProBox, you cannot use the ProBox at the same time.

It's either, or.

You can shut down the mixer, disconnect the DB25 cable from the console, connect the 25-pin connector from the ProBox to the console, and the USB cable to your computer, and use the D8B as a controller this way.

Without an external switch, you'll just have to shut down/change connections and boot back up, every time you want to switch between mixer and controller use.

Also, as I said a faaaaar back in this thread... even with a switch, the behavior is not perfect, since neither the D8B, nor the ProBox were really designed for that use case. What you can expect WITH a switch is this:

You boot the D8B up as a mixer first, and set all the levels, etc. the way you like them.
Then you use the external switch, to make a connection to the ProBox & computer.
If you're lucky, all your audio continues to pass through the "mixer" side of the D8B, the way you would expect.
If you're NOT so lucky, some of the channels on the "mixer D8B" will reset to -infinity (completely quiet), and you have to switch back over to mixer mode, set the levels where they should be, and try again.

Besides, I had problems with the mixer levels continuing to show on the D8B's LED meters, instead of the levels from the DAW, as a MCU unit would. This could have been, because I was using a WAY too long DB25 cable for some time, to extend the ProBox connection (I needed it to go closer to my USB hub), though. Some time back, when I had it set up differently, I got the DAW levels... not sure what the deal was, when using that long cable. Just saying that the meters may or may not work as expected, when in controller mode with the ProBox.

Anyway... long story short: Since you can't connect the ProBox and the D8B rack unit to the D8B console at the same time (or at least switch from the console/rack connection to the console/probox connection quickly), you can't use both at the same time.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby spmonkay » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:48 am

Ah ok! Thank you! I will look at getting a switch then. Thank you.
spmonkay

Postby angelotaylor » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:02 pm

spmonkay wrote:Ah ok! Thank you! I will look at getting a switch then. Thank you.

What is Your progress, spmonkay?
The first, You beed make an update with official update tutorial. Next step - You need to setup ftp - between Your PC (or mac), and D8B with standart network cable. After, You need to download crack, and follow setup instructions. In crack process, You just will exchange original "system.exe" with cracked copy via ftp. It is all. After that, OS, and all plugins - will be unlocked, and will work properly.
Last edited by angelotaylor on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelotaylor

Postby spmonkay » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 pm

I’m trying to update to 5.1! Is there a download that includes the back or can you download a hack separately?
spmonkay

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum