Change font size   Print view

D8B Self shutdown and reboot?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B Self shutdown and reboot?

Postby OscarPro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Hey Crash, how are you? Hope better than I'm doing..
It may be so. But I've just installed v5.1 from scratch again and have had the d8b running now for over an hour. No glitches, no loss of audio or any misfits boots. However I haven't installed any of the plugins. (SP3). The console is just running from the authorized v5.1only, no added packs or plugins. This is weird...

I've prepared another SP3 floppy set from scratch. I'm going to install that set and see what happens before I take a look at the RAM Crash. Having said that, what type of RAM am I looking at and where would one find relacment dimms should they be faulty?

Thanks for coming on board again...

Andy
Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom... Let the learning begin.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:28 pm

PC-100 SDRAM DIMM are what is called for as I recall. The rig will not see anything above 256mb so there is no need to go whole hog on RAM. There are four slots so you can get it all on one stick or a combination (1x256 or 2x128, etc.)

Version 5.1 is more RAM intensive as I recall as are the plug ins, so as you load it up, it may be more prone to the issues you are having. Also, it might be why it was fine before you upgraded. I think in the manual, or maybe the database, it is recommended that you bulk up on RAM for a V5 upgrade.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Crash, you know I remember reading that somewhere, must ohave been the database. Sounds logical. More software/program intensive more Memory needed to read it. It's worth a look. I'm going to see what size RAM I have now in that D8B. In any case, are these dimms readily available for purchase or are they like the apogee clock cards, hard to find?

Thanks for that input. There maybe some light at the end of tunnel after all. lol..

Andy
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:25 pm

I've had a look at the memory settings on both D8Bs to see if they differ.
D8B1 - V.5.1 fully loaded with all plugins authorized has the following memory :
Base memory = 640 K
Extended memory = 31744 K
Other memory = 384 K

D8B2 - The one that's keeps rebooting itself after I install SP3 has identical memory, if I'm reading the RAM correctly.
Base memory = 640 K
Extended memory = 31744 K
Other memory = 384 K

Should I still pull the RAM and replace with more memory?
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Where are you reading these numbers? There is a place on the GUI right-ish side, top of the screen in white as I recall, that wil show RAM and what is available (or being used) as the console is using it. I am curious as to what the differences are between the two units in regards to this number.

If you are feeling brave, you could switch the RAM between unit one and two and see if the problem follows the RAM or not.

As for availibility for your RAM, I really can't speak for London. Here in the US, it is easier to find than an Apogee clock card but I bet with the internet, anything is just a click away eventually.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:03 pm

I think I'm beyond brave after my last episode Crash. Hey... It's another adventure as far as I'm concerned.
The readings I noted were taken directly from Both D8B BIOS pages running simultaneously..it gave me the opertunity to check all the settings within BIOS against the D8B that is fully functional and without issue.
But you are right about the white memory staus on the top of the GUI, when the D8B is running. I'll run them both to see the difference. Then I'll do a braveheart and dive in to switch the RAMs.. This will be one to remember!
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Crash wrote:My money is on wonky RAM causing your random boot issues.....

Me too! Random reboots are clearly a symptom of bad RAM or bad seated RAM.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby OscarPro1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Peter, yes...thanks for the input. Crash pointed me in that direction and I know for a fact that the RAM in my second D8B is simply not enough. I've ordered a couple of 128MB Dimms for each od the CPUs. Should have them at the latest Monday.
I'll post when I've installed them and hopefully managed to get D8B 2 running smoothly again.

Thanks again for your help!

Have a great weekend. :-))

Andy
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby garrett21allen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:48 pm

where is a good place to get this ram
is it as hard to find as the d8b hard drives.

thanks joe allen
garrett21allen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum