Change font size   Print view

What does everyone Mixdown too ?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

What does everyone Mixdown too ?

Postby vert360 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:19 pm

D8B.png
Setup
D8B.png (Array KiB) Viewed 1663 times
I mixdown to another computer via the D8b SPDIF out, do you think i should just use the spdif for the clocking or should i use a BNC connection? The SPDIF has been working good, but some times i will hear pops and clicks in the mixdown, and i have to recorded it again. Do you think the BNC will supply a better clock signal?
vert360

Re: What does everyone Mixdown too ?

Postby Casey_Pittman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Why not just record back into Cubase? it's already clocked and working. The addition of a second computer seems troublesome to me especially when you say your having sync problems with the clicks and pops.

I would suggest recording back into your session via spdif or adat and exporting the mix tracks out for wavelab.
Just my .02

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby vert360 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 pm

I like to mix on the fly thats why i like doing this way, does any one have a setup like this? Or knows of a better way?
vert360

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:53 pm

I'm with Casey. Your mix lies side by side with the project. Easy.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby FrankH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:59 pm

I happen to mixdown Cubase to a second Mac. The hookup is primarily the same as the illustration...with the D8B's S/PDIF output feeding a MOTU UltraLite mk3's S/PDIF input, which in turn feeds the 2nd Mac via FW. (I also have 8 analog outputs from the D8Bs Alt I/O feeding 8 line inputs on the UltraLite for occasional stem mixing).

I have found this to work quite well without pops and clicks. I do this because it is a PITA to run my D8Bs 2mix back into Cubase on the main machine without jumping through hoops.

Why you are getting clicks and pops may traced to the one component you failed to mention: the I/O interface into the 2nd machine. What is that?

The only thing wrong with the illustration is that there is no FW connection between the 2408 and the main DAW computer. That's a proprietary MOTU data stream that runs from the 2408 I/O to a 424 PCI(e) card in the main DAW. It happens to use a IEEE 1394 cable....but it isn't a FW signal.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 am

Call me old fashioned, but I like to keep everything "outside the box" and record to 2 x Alesis HD24's (frame acurate synced) and then mix down to an Alesis Masterlink.

I have Cubase, if I really have to undertake a bit of editing, but dump from the HD24 hard drive (via Alesis Fireport) to the computer, undertake the editing and then transfer back to the HD24 hard drive to mix through the d8B.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that I simply like the feel of a console under both of my hands rather than a mouse in one hand !!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby vert360 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:27 pm

I have notice that i pops when i move the mouse while the audio is being recorded on the mixdown computer. I am using the Delta 1010LT sound card on the mixdown computer, it has a BNC connection do you think that might improve the audio on the mixdown?
vert360

Postby Petersueco » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:57 pm

If moving the mouse during the recording is causing click you should increase your buffer size during mixdown.

You are running your DAW with a too short latency, forcing the computer to work in stress, therefore the mouse movements interfere with the recording process.

Increase your audio buffer or latency.

Just my 0,02 €
Peter Holmquist
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vert360 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Petersueco wrote:If moving the mouse during the recording is causing click you should increase your buffer size during mixdown.

You are running your DAW with a too short latency, forcing the computer to work in stress, therefore the mouse movements interfere with the recording process.

Increase your audio buffer or latency.

Just my 0,02 €
Peter Holmquist

Thank you, I will give that a try. Do you think the BNC connection would be a better clock source then the SPDIF? Because I would have the SPDIF for the audio and the BNC for the clock.
vert360

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:53 am

yes, use a BNC T connector to come out of the d8b and sync via the word clock.

Here's what I'm talking about.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://home-cctv.com/images/bnc%2520t%2520splitter.jpg&imgrefurl=http://home-cctv.com/t-shape-bnc-male-to-2-bnc-female-splitter-cctv-2-way-connection-p-113.html&h=853&w=1280&sz=88&tbnid=A4MW8pnkU7veLM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&zoom=1&usg=__f9aeay5rpyukxFkjVxqzRg8vDFs=&docid=q-Y0jxQkHnKUPM&sa=X&ei=JOpcUdPAF-jD2QX8lIDAAQ&ved=0CGAQ9QEwAQ&dur=3975

Connect it to the WC output and one side goes to the tracking interface the other side goes to the mix down computer interface.

you should be able to find these at any electronics store, even radio shack should have them.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum